Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:08 PM   #1

Hi, The last 2 weeks I've been trying to photograph my daughter's indoor soccer games...but am getting all (99%) blurry shots. I've got image stabilization on, usually leave the flash off, have played around with different burst modes. Should the metering be set to center? Also, for auto-focus.....is H single center focus best, or the triple focus...or another setting. I see there is another single subject focus with a tiny "X" or "H" (please pardon my lack of technical jargon) but (have to drag out the manual) I'm not sure if this is a high-speed mode or not.

I think the mesh may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Looking forward to what the experts have to say. Thanks. Oh, and I'm shooting at 8mp, jpegs. Another question, if I "bump" down the resolution to say 5 or 5.5, the camera will take pictures faster in burst mode, because it won't take as long to write the image to the memory card, true?

I love my camera, and haven't had problems with outdoor soccer photos. -D
------------------------------
Part 2: Thanks much for the advice, much appreciated..will try your suggestions. As asked, I've added some of the photos. -D

dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Hi, The last 2 weeks I've been trying to photograph my daughter's indoor soccer games...but am getting all (99%) blurry shots. I've got image stabilization on, usually leave the flash off, have played around with different burst modes. Should the metering be set to center? Also, for auto-focus.....is H single center focus best, or the triple focus...or another setting. I see there is another single subject focus with a tiny "X" or "H" (please pardon my lack of technical jargon) but (have to drag out the manual) I'm not sure if this is a high-speed mode or not.

It always help to post a picture with the Exif ...but I will take a guess. First about the focus areas there are 2 high speed focus mode 3 area and 1 area.....I prefer the 1 area high speed mode but some claim if you stay out of the high speed modes the EVF does not blank out for as long.....your call.......the one little focus mode is spot focus and may or may not be your best choice. The 3 or 9 areas are very difficult to control so I avoid them..

I
Quote:
think the mesh may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Looking forward to what the experts have to say. Thanks. Oh, and I'm shooting at 8mp, jpegs. Another question, if I "bump" down the resolution to say 5 or 5.5, the camera will take pictures faster in burst mode, because it won't take as long to write the image to the memory card, true?

While the mesh may have something to do with the problem.....my guess the problem is , not enough light....

So to test that theory lets raise the ISO to 400 that should enable a faster Shutter speed which is what you need. For most sports a SS of at least 1/250 sec is needed.

So try this.. raise the ISO to 400 and put the camera in aperture Priority and set the aperture to F2.8 which will be 3.7 when you zoom.....and take some photos at the next game.......then put the camera in shutter priority and set the SS to 1/250 and take some more photos and see if either of those methods worked.......you could also try at that game just make sure the ISO is on 400 and put the camera in sports mode and see what that does.

To shoot thru the mesh you need as large as aperture as you can get which is also what you need because of the light. And its my guess its what the camera has been using right along.

Good luck and a picture or two will help us spot the problem.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:02 PM   #3

Hi, I've added some photos to help solve the problem.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:53 PM   #4

OK while there is no exif in those photos , it easy to see that the blur is motion blur and not caused by the netting. So you need to try something to raise the Shutter speed.....the only way I know to do that, is to raise the ISO. (Or enlarge the aperture but I will bet the camera already did that.)

If you check the exif of your photos before they were saved for the web....which removes the exif....but the originals should have the exif included.

My guess is you will see the ISO was most likely 100 and the shutter speed was somewhere near 1/100 th of a second or less, andno where near the 1/250 needed.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 4:46 PM   #5

Okay, will do. I'll post the settings here later.