Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:03 AM   #11

Rafael wrote: "Your first. Well congratulations, you did well. Must have been an exciting few minutes for you."

Thanks Rafael. Yes, it was exciting in that it was the first, that I was able to get so close. He actually would let me get within about 30 feet, then kept retreating to the brush and tree, until he finally had enough of me. He was a rather large hawk. Most of the ones I had encountered would fly off soon as I exited the vehicle.

Thanks for viewing and commenting.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:06 AM   #12

Thanks Annie. I was actually looking for something to take photos of. I must have taken at least 50 of the hawk before he left. It was the first time I have ever been able to get so close.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:12 AM   #13

Serafin wrote: "Thats a impressive looking Hawk. Its a little sad to see the Hawk with the trash on the ground though."

I agree with you about the trash on the roadside. Unfortunately, it is one of the major problems in Louisiana. People keep their vehicles clean, by littering the roadsides. What I don't understand is with curbside pickup, we still cannot get people to keep it in the vehicle and clean it out at home. Beer cans and such is some of the worst litter, along with MacDonald and Burger King trash thrown out the windows. I live on a state road and have to pick up trash in front the house all the time.

Thanks for viewing and commenting.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:15 AM   #14

Thanks Steve. I really was amazed when I saw him. He was eating "roadkill", so I turned around and approached slowly. Took a few shots from the window and then stepped out slowly. He kept his eye on me, moving off as I approached.

Thanks for viewing and commenting. It was definitely a pleasure for me, even if none of the photos had come out acceptable.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:44 AM   #15

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Your first. Well congratulations, you did well. Must have been an exciting few minutes for you.
Sounds like you had a fun exciting time. You did GOOOOD.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:59 PM   #16

well done on getting as close as you did without a hide.! I hope I'm lucky enough to get a opportunity like that one of these days
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:59 PM   #17

Thanks, Roger. It was the first time I have ever gotten that close to a hawk to be sure, and yes, it was exciting.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:01 PM   #18

Thanks for viewing and commenting, Suzie. I can tell you that I was completely surprised that he stayed long enough and let me get as close as I did. At first, I thought something might be wrong with him, until he finally flew off.

P. S. Also hope you get lucky.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:14 PM   #19

Lucky you Gerry! You did a good job here! I hope one day to snag one myself. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:48 PM   #20

Thanks, Donna. I do feel lucky. When I first passed him, and he didn't fly off, I thought surely he would when I stopped and turned around, but no. I eased the truck up and got a few shots through the window. Then decided to get out and do a slow approach. All he did was hop up into the brush, so I thought he must be ill or injured. But as I got closer he moved up into the tree. Then to another close by tree. When I followed him there, he thought this character is not going to let me eat my roadkill, and flew off across the Mississippi. Couldn't follow him there. But .