Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:44 PM   #1

STUCK, dark, snow & a flat = "Try new flash"

Pentax K10D, Tamron 24 -135 - Pentax Af-540FGZ flash

I had seen some elk track across a valley with my binoculars so I asked my wife if she wanted to ride with me out to that area and all I planned on doing was checking out the track and waiting until dark to see if any elk were coming out in the area. Filled the thermos with coffee grabbed the camera bag and out to Ponderosa Valley we went. Right after dark I started to head back home after about a mile a lady pulling a horse trailer was in the middle of the road going real slow so I pulled off to the side to let her get by. Yup when they had plowed they covered over a ditch. When the right side of the camera wagon got to the side of the road it sunk.

When the lady gets by with the horse trailer its is time to get back on the way home. I stuck it in gear and the wheels were just spinning, not a problem put in in 4 low. When I got to neutral we heard a air sound. Got out to look and Yup the back left tire was going flat real fast so I look closer and sure enough a piece of steel about 1/4 inch around and 1 1/2 inches long was in the tire.

What to do now????? get back in the camera wagon pour a cup of coffee scratch my head and come up with a brilliant plan. First thing first!!!!! This is a good time to try out my new flash with my K10D and my Tamron 24-135.

Here is a view from the front. It was so dark I had to turn on the dome light to get the camera to focus on anything. Barbara is getting out the manual so I can find the tire changing stuff.

From the back you can see it was a pretty deep ditch.

Yup!! after only a few sips of coffee the tire is flat.

It is obvious I need to practice using my flash. It is good to know it does work.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Bottom Line Is: IMHO when you are going out to get some photos don't forget to take a flash with you.

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:18 PM   #2

they seem to be pretty good photos considering your lighting conditions!!! and your wife must have just shook her head and wondered.

You need to finish the story and let us know how you got out of there!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:41 PM   #3

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
they seem to be pretty good photos considering your lighting conditions!!! and your wife must have just shook her head and wondered.

You need to finish the story and let us know how you got out of there!!!!
As far as being stuck, I wasn't concerned, I moved a little snow away from the front of the front tire and the back of the back tire. Used some rocks to block the wheels then changed the tire. I figured once the tire was changed one of the 4 wheel drive systems would get me out. Worked just fine in 4 low. Wasn't even bad enough to use one of the fancy 4 wheel drive thingies.

Been married to Barbara for a little over 40 years so nothing I do surprises her any more. I just get that look ( " You are in your own world out there some where" ). The only thing about the experience she said was maybe you should of tested the flash before we got stuck so you would have an idea of what you are doing to get a photo. My answer " Yes dear your right & I was wrong and I won't do that again" this did bring on another one of those looks.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:30 PM   #4

Yup, and so aren't you lucky that the tire that is flat is not on the other side of the camera wagon. It would not have been so easy to get to. Isn't it amazing what years will to do to a man, still married to the same woman. He learns quickly that even though he is boss, the best answer is "I will come out from under the bed when I am ready," and then come out and take his medicine.:G
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 5:12 AM   #5

Something is very Wacky!

You told us that Barbara had claimed the FZ30. In fact, had a POTD. So, what is she doing inside the camera wagon when there was such an opportunity for her to get in some practice whilst you sacrifice yourself doing mans business like banging the steering wheel whilst cursing

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:48 AM   #6

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Yup, and so aren't you lucky that the tire that is flat is not on the other side of the camera wagon. It would not have been so easy to get to. Isn't it amazing what years will to do to a man, still married to the same woman. He learns quickly that even though he is boss, the best answer is "I will come out from under the bed when I am ready," and then come out and take his medicine.:G
You are right if it had been on the other side it probably would of added a half hour or so to getting out of there.

Best thing to remember is "Yes dear you are right and I am wrong and I won't do it again" the difficult thing is to sound like you mean it.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:53 AM   #7

Bootneck3 wrote:
Quote:
Something is very Wacky!

You told us that Barbara had claimed the FZ30. In fact, had a POTD. So, what is she doing inside the camera wagon when there was such an opportunity for her to get in some practice whilst you sacrifice yourself doing mans business like banging the steering wheel whilst cursing

Fred
When I told her the air sound was a piece of steel in the tire and it was going to be flat real fast, she asked if I knew where the change the tire stuff was and how to use it. All I could say was" NOPE, but that is why these new camera wagons come with a manual" she opened up the gove box to get out the manual while I got out to test the flash. I guess you would call that team work. Brilliant planning on my part (Lucky) I had remembered to put the manual in the glove box.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:06 AM   #8

that you would consider this predicament an opportunity to check out your new flash is a tribute to your dedication to photography.
You are the man !!!
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:07 AM   #9

Hi Roger,

I had few chuckles with your "Photo Wagon" adventure. A happy ending scenario.Thanks for sharing.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:23 AM   #10

tinosa wrote:
Quote:
that you would consider this predicament an opportunity to check out your new flash is a tribute to your dedication to photography.
You are the man !!!
tinosa thanks for the nice comment. I was stuck in a ditch and had a flat tire, nothing I could do to change that so I might as well use it as a opportunity to get something accomplished.

TOTALLY WACKY roger