Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:41 AM   #1

At the bottom of my goldeneye thread I asked a few questions about teleconverters, and will repeat here: What is a good one to get at a good price? I notice there is a C-180, a C-160, a TCON-17 and a few others. Thanks in advance.

But now, on with the show. I went back to the river today. It was brighter although too early for the sun to hit the water. Only 3 degrees F though, and steam was rising from the water. I took a few shots and then my fingers froze so it was time to go.

This guy ran along the water like this. Maybe I scared him. Notice all the mist rising off the river.

The one with the punky haircut is a meganser. Both of these ducks are ocean going ducks, by the way. I'm glad they see fit to come to Lake Michigan.

This guy spent a long time swimming around like this. I think he was hunkered down against the cold and found the river water warmer then the aire.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:59 AM   #2

Nice photos and I really like #2. He is so cute!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:50 AM   #3

I agree with Annie, number two is very nice.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:17 PM   #4

Thanks. I like number 2 myself. He looks like a punky teenager.

I went with bread today, figure it works for gulls so I would try it. Got geese and the sea ducks stayed way out. Uncropped picture with no zoom below. I made an arrow, on either side of the tip are goldeneyes so you can see how far away they hang out. Although, the pictures I posted they were closer as I was straight on to them then.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 5:25 PM   #5

Like the coloured refelctionon 1&3, but 2 is the nices shot of the duck.

I do not have a TC so cannot advise from direct knowledge. However I have seen this quoted often as a resource.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/

Heres his post on this forum

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...hlight=tcon-17

Some birding posts I have seen claim the nikon (TC-E17ED) is clearly the best of the bunch. However it is expensive and I believe hard to get. The Olympus (TCON-17) is probably next best and considerably easier on the budget. Of course there is always the Panasonic as well (LT55).
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:51 PM   #6

Hi! Steve, like the punky teenager. As for the teleconverter, I use the TCON 17. I think Roger uses the Nikon TC-E17. While I believe the Nikon may well be a better TC, it is a bit more expensive than the Olympus. I am not sure, but the Nikon may also be larger and heavier than the TCON 17.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:57 AM   #7

As Jerry said, the TCON-17 is a nice teleconverter and it is the one I use most of the time with the FZ-50. The Nikon is supposed to be a little sharper but cost quite a bit more. If you are willing to put up with the vignetting the C-180 or C-210 can't be beat for the price. I have both the C-180 and C-210 and they work fine if your shooting something like birds and are only interested in the center portion of the shot. I also have the TCON-14B and while it works great on the FZ-20 it does not work well on the FZ-50.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote