Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:00 PM   #1

Since I started to use my E1 I've been shooting in RAW even though the E1's jpegs are really good. For those with the FZ30/50 do take a look at what you can get out of the cam shooting RAW - I think you'd be pleasently suprised.

I've used a few RAW app's including Lightroom, Colour One (its suppsoed to be the best but its way too hard for me), Silkypix(its good and free) and a few others includign BibblePro on linux. Shooting RAw can really save a shot that you may have messed up by either over/underexposing/incorrect WB or when you want to control the amount of NR beign applied to a shot. If you've not used Lightroom - do its an easy application to use and get ur head around but fully featured. The beta is still available for download :

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

You have to register to download either mac or pc versions. The full version is due for sale pretty shortly at a discounted $200.00. I know it sounds steep and I never thought id spend that much on a rAw editor but for lightroom I am seriously willing to. Otherwise give the new free version of Silkypix a try - which I'm plannign to do b4 parting with any cash.

Here's a shot taken over the weekend - I'd underexposed by nearly by -1 to -1 2/3 at ISO 400 f7.1 @1/30s. The original shot (once i find it) was very dark indeed - but i managed to get this out of the RAW file using lightroom:

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:34 PM   #2

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Since I started to use my E1 I've been shooting in RAW even though the E1's jpegs are really good. For those with the FZ30/50 do take a look at what you can get out of the cam shooting RAW - I think you'd be pleasently suprised.

HarjTT, I could not agree more. Once I started shooting RAW I have not turned back. The only time I now switch raw off are:
  • when I think I will be taking too many shots for my card (a trip away)[/*]
  • when I need continouous shooting mode;[/*]
  • If I really need to exposure bracket
[/*]
The example you gave is a common one for me. My eyesight is not wonderful and I find the LCD screen/viewfinder does not let me get a great look at what is happening. I therefore end up adjusting many of my shots.

I played with an early version of Lightroom and I thought the RAW conversion was awesome. I have not layed down any $s yet as I have an existing copy of Photoshop and am playing with CS3 which includes all of the Adobe Camera Raw enhancements found in Lightroom. It is a big jump from CS2, but of course horrendously expensive. Only have CS2 because my daughter needed a copy and they have educational prices. Hope tohave a 'first look' post of CS3 in the near future.

Thanks for the info that silkypix has a RAW converter, will look into it.

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:00 PM   #3

Thatsseems strange to me .....I kind of liked lightroom for a browser/organizer, but did not think much of itas an editor.....certainly not 300 dollars worth......I removed it from my computer about about a month ago.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:14 AM   #4

Gene, I would agree that some of the early versions of the beta were fairly rough with significant functionality missing or buggy. It did though improve significantly over time. The integrated RAW processing was and is a feature; the ability to adjust exposure, whitebalence etc BEFORE converting to a jpeg was terrific. It is probably not as full and editor as some products and the 'different' interface style takes a bit of getting used to.

The $300 IS a big sticking point, I agree. Adobe products always seem expensive to me. I am fortunate to be able to get educational pricing which would bring it down to about $179 and makes it more tasty.

I would have no hesitation in suggesting people have a look at it prior to deciding which editor they prefer, especially if they ever use RAW. But each person needs to do a bit of research and decide what features they need/want and how much they are prepared to pay.

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:01 AM   #5

I agree 100% ...I only wanted to suggest that not everyone one thinks its the best thing since Ice Cream.

I must admit to not using RAW much on my FZ30......and Nikon NX is my choice for the Nikon files.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:10 AM   #6

Hi Gene

The latest version of Lightroom Beta 4.1 is a big improvement over the earlier versions. From memory Adobe puchased a company that made Rawshooter (a free RAW editor) and quiet a bit of the functionality in that app was integrated into Lightroom Beta 4.1. The full price of $300 for a RAW editor is steep (could easily go towards a new lens) and I'm considering it becuase of its ease of use and introductory price of $199. I may wait and see what Adobe's CS3's photoshop can do - apparently it uses aspects of Lightroom's technology and interface. The best RAW editor from what I've read is said to be Phase One's Colour One Pro but I found that very difficult to use. I had a look at Silkypix v2 (although version 3 is now out) and its good but found that I liked LR.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:42 AM   #7

This might be a stupid question but I have never shot in RAW. Do you have to process it in a different way from a photo shot in JPEG? I have Microsoft Digital Image and I also use the free version of Picasa for PP so far. Like I said, not sure if there is a different way you have to PP or not? I currently have a Panasonic FZ30.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:36 AM   #8

Hi Annie

Hmm.. thats a tough question. I've not really changed the way I pp my shots from jpeg. What I am able to do is not worry about the WB of a shot, if you overexpose or really underexpose a pic either. You also have the ability to control the amount of noise reduction applied to the file. You can like Photoshop just adjust the levels, contrast/brightness, change an image to B&W and apply sharpening too, and all of these changes does not actually effect the original RAW file. You then have the option to just save the file either as a Jpeg/tiff/PSD as normal.

You can download Silkypix 3 free version for both mac and windows here:

http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/download/

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:53 AM   #9

Thanks for information Harjitt. I also found this site that has helped explained a lot to me this morning since I am a beginner with this.

http://photo.net/learn/raw/

annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:56 AM   #10

HarjTT

I thought I followed the newer versions but I do not think I did see a version 4.1.......Oh well ,I have plenty of converters , more than I know how to work, which may be the problem.