Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1

so, i got an email today informing me that my FZ20 is on its way back to me -that was quick! it was delivered to the warranty repair center (Mack Camera and Video Service, in Springfield, NJ) one week ago today... now, if they've fixed the problem properly, and i have no reason at this point to believe otherwise, that's pretty darn good service! probably a fair bit better than i'd get from Panasonic direct, from what i've heard!

i'll let you know how the ol' FZ performs once i have it back and have a chance to take a few shots with it...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:45 AM   #2

Good for you squirl.......lets know the results....I have heard so many reports on the Mack Warrantys some good -- some not.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:01 PM   #3

What happend to your FZ20? I have one and I want just to be "prepared"

sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:30 PM   #4

Looking forward to your posts! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:15 PM   #5

sunstorage wrote:
Quote:
it developed a metering problem... in low light, in "P" mode, it wouldn't select a shutter speed slower than 1/4 second, even when conditiond dictated 1 second or longer. i tested this by setting it "A" mode, at the same aperture and composing the shot. the camera would select 1 second or longer. but when i switched back to "P" mode, it stopped at 1/4 second, consistently underexposing photos.

i coulda just ignored it and used "A" mode for night shots, which is what i do most of the time anyway, but i figured it'd be better to catch the problem while it's small. besides, i wanted to get the thing into the shop early, so that if it DID take a long time to fix, i could still get it back in time for spring shooting!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:39 PM   #6

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
it developed a metering problem... in low light, in "P" mode, it wouldn't select a shutter speed slower than 1/4 second, even when conditiond dictated 1 second or longer. [...]
WAIT... is that a metering problem??? My departed FZ10 behaved like that all the time, and so does my FZ20 now. I thought (I even think it is indicated so in the manuals) that in P mode the camera simply is designed not to choose slower speeds.

How is your camera behaving now?

Thanks a lot...
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:32 AM   #7

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
sunstorage wrote:
Quote:
it developed a metering problem... in low light, in "P" mode, it wouldn't select a shutter speed slower than 1/4 second, even when conditiond dictated 1 second or longer. i tested this by setting it "A" mode, at the same aperture and composing the shot. the camera would select 1 second or longer. but when i switched back to "P" mode, it stopped at 1/4 second, consistently underexposing photos.

i coulda just ignored it and used "A" mode for night shots, which is what i do most of the time anyway, but i figured it'd be better to catch the problem while it's small. besides, i wanted to get the thing into the shop early, so that if it DID take a long time to fix, i could still get it back in time for spring shooting!
I checked my FZ20 and it do exactly the same thing.
When it is in P the slowest setting it selects is 2.8 - 1/4
when it is in A the same "shot" it set it to 1s (when I set the A at 2.8)

According to the the documentation the setting at A mode is normal
page 55 of DMCFZ20PP.PDF

Aperture-priority AE
F8.0 1 – 1/2000
F7.3 F6.5 F5.6 1 – 1/1600
F5.2 F4.6 F4.0 1 – 1/1300
F3.7 F3.3 F2.8 1 – 1/1000

but for P mode it does not say nothing

So PLEASE every one who have FZ20 check this "issue". Maybe it is normal - maybe it is not. Squirl - have you got yours "Fixed". I am starting to worry about mine!

Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:47 AM   #8

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
sunstorage wrote:
Quote:

I checked my FZ20 and it do exactly the same thing.
When it is in P the slowest setting it selects is 2.8 - 1/4
when it is in A the same "shot" it set it to 1s (when I set the A at 2.8)

According to the the documentation the setting at A mode is normal
page 55 of DMCFZ20PP.PDF

Aperture-priority AE
F8.0 1 – 1/2000
F7.3 F6.5 F5.6 1 – 1/1600
F5.2 F4.6 F4.0 1 – 1/1300
F3.7 F3.3 F2.8 1 – 1/1000

but for P mode it does not say nothing

So PLEASE every one who have FZ20 check this "issue". Maybe it is normal - maybe it is not. Squirl - have you got yours "Fixed". I am starting to worry about mine!

Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:44 AM   #9

Hi Squirrl

Good to hear the FZ's on its way back from repair. I'd always assumed that in "P" mode it did everything apart from 1/2000 s shutter speeds which is only available in full manual or shutter speed mode. I'll have to check my FZ10 to see if its doing the same thing but I would never have know as I always shoot in manual mode.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:41 AM   #10

Squirl.....I should have checked before but my FZ20 works exactly the same way.....F2.8 1/4 second.

FWIW the FZ30 is only slightly different 1/3.2....I think I wrote that correctly but it is 1 speed slower.

Edit

I have been told it has to do with the IS, and the slower SS have been disabled in P mode. Or at least I think I have that correct , but the bottom line, its normal.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote