Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:06 PM   #1

Has anyone read reviews yet and formed any opinions, as to pros and cons? I am considering another pocket type camera as Bayoubelle has confiscated the FX01 and keeps it in her purse. Some of the tech specs sort of leave me all :?.

thanks for any replies.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:25 PM   #2

I had the TZ1 and it was a nice camera but the lack of manual controls limited it. I gave it to my son and now am looking for another one. Don't kill me, but I am considering the Canon A640. Of course I am open to suggestions too.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 4:26 PM   #3

The tz3 looks like a real nice ultra-compact. Still no manual control but it does have 28mm wa (280 at 10x) and a 3" high res lcd thatmakes it slightly heavier than the tz1 while actually being a bit smaller.Not quiteas pocketable as the fx01, though. TZ3 has 7mp vs TZ1 5mp. Maybe Bayoubelle will run off with your tz3 and leave you the fx01. I bet she'll like that zoom.

The A640 is 35-140 (4x),larger, heavier (4 AA batteries), with noIS and a low res 2.5" lcd. It does have A and S priority and 10mp on a 1/1.8" ccd. How about the panyLX2. Manual control, 10mp, IS, smaller, lighter, 28mm,16:9 sensor, better lcd, RAW.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:32 PM   #4

Thanks Ted for viewing and commenting. I looked up the A640 at Circuit City. It sells for about $350 I believe it was, but it larger than I would like. I want something that I can slip in a shirt pocket or such, for those times when I don't have the FZ-30 along. Many times, I have wished I had a camera, and I do on the cell phone, but it and nothing is the same to me.

Thanks Fred for viewing and the suggestion. I don't know about the swap, Bayoubelle says she is real comfortable with her camera. I will look more into the compacts and take a look at the LX2 also.

Thanks very much to both of you.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:51 PM   #5

What a nice and generous guy you are. Thinking about another camera for Bayoubelle. She can leave it on the dash of her car so she doesn't have to get in her purse for her other one.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:04 PM   #6

Roger, she is fortunate to be able to handle one. All I have to do is tell her the new one is more complex to use. She is even less technically inclined than I am.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:11 PM   #7

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Roger, she is fortunate to be able to handle one. All I have to do is tell her the new one is more complex to use. She is even less technically inclined than I am.
Here is an offer to help you out!!!??? Have her come out to my place for a couple of days and I will show her how easy it is to use.

Just an idea. Just trying to help you.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:42 PM   #8

tcook wrote:
Quote:
I had the TZ1 and it was a nice camera but the lack of manual controls limited it. I gave it to my son and now am looking for another one. Don't kill me, but I am considering the Canon A640. Of course I am open to suggestions too.
If I were to get a sort of pocket size Canon it would be the A710 IS. I was going back and forth between that and an S3 IS until I decided I wanted a long zoom and liked the FZ7. Optical viewfinder, full manual mode, lots of good features. I guess it has a slow flash recycle time with but two double AA's, but a nice camera nevertheless.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote