Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:31 PM   #1

I went back to the beach to take shadow bird shots. All that ice from yesterday had either mashed itself to the shore or sailed off to Indiana or Wisconsin or Michigan; I'm not sure which. I got a few shadow shots, then followed a bird around and took a few hundred pictures, a few of which are here. All cropped but the flying one.

Shadow Birds

Peregrine With Dinner

Peregrine on Ice

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:48 PM   #2

You got some excellent shots there. What looks like one unlucky pigeon but you sure lucked out on the opportunity, good shooting.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:57 PM   #3

Agree with Ted, those are some mighty nice captures.
At first, I thought he was carrying a fish.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:08 PM   #4

Thanks tcook and buyourebel. I was very lucky. There are a few places in downtown Chicago and Evanston (suburb just north of me) where these guys live and I guess they drop birds on the street sometimes. But if I found one there the rest of the picture would not be near as scenic as the frozen lake front. I was sort of wishing I had a teleconvertor, but if I did it would not have been with me as I was only there to take shadow pictures.

Here is one more nice pose.

Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:48 PM   #5

WOW and AWESOME...what neat photos and I thought it was a fish too!!! Neat to have those kind of captures in the winter!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:31 PM   #6

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
WOW and AWESOME...what neat photos and I thought it was a fish too!!! Neat to have those kind of captures in the winter!!!
Thanks Annie. That is about how I felt. Not just in winter would I be happy to get a capture near this good. Although it would be more fun any other time of year probably. About froze my knees off trying to creep close. There was a lot of offshore ice and this bird took full advantage of it to stay away from people, dogs, that pesky photographer. I had no idea how good any of the pictures would be until I got home and looked and let out a few WOW's of my own.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:43 PM   #7

Terific action nature shots, and skillful stalking on your part. Made me say WOW!

A few years ago we had a couple of Perigrine falcons nesting on the roof of a downtwon office building here in Grand Rapids.They kept the pidgeon population down, but only stayed for one season.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:25 PM   #8

Number three and four are spectacular!!! Did you use an "add-on" teleconverter??

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:24 PM   #9

Macnite wrote:
Quote:
Number three and four are spectacular!!! Did you use an "add-on" teleconverter??

Emmanuel
No Teleconverter Emmanuel. See picture number 5 above (falcon number 5, newer post) which you may not have seen since you asked the question. I like the wing pose in that one better myself. I still have a gob of pictures to go through, but I think I have all the best ones so far.

The picture below is unzoomed, and I put an arrow pointing to the bird so you can see how far away it was. I crept a wee bit closer and did a full zoom, and most of what I posted so far is that spot. The last time it flew off I did not follow it as I figured it deserved to finish the pigeon in peace.
Steve

Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:53 PM   #10

Some nice shots there, the peregrine with lunch is terrific. I also really liked your shadow picture they have a paniterly feel to them.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote