Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:27 PM   #1

Hi, Im new to this board and enjoy looking at everyones pics. Im about to order a camera and im having a hard time deciding which one. I have a friend that owns an fz20that takes great pics,i cant find it anywhere though. Most of my pics will be taken outdoors and mainly wildlife pics. I get alot of opportunities to get close to deer and other animals. Im pretty good with computers/technical things so i think i couldget used toeither camera pretty fast. Which camera do you think would be better for this kind of use? Thanks
cal 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:48 PM   #2

If you search for any posts I originated in this forum the pictures were all taken with an FZ7. There are a few deer somewhere. Most of them are hosted on flickr and you can click on the picture to go there and see larger sizes. (And lots more pictures) Or you can go directly there by clicking http://www.flickr.com/photos/happy_peasant/

Bottom right of each page tells camera used. Most wildlife I posted there is with FZ7. I like it. I don't think it does clouds all that well but it is great for animal life.

I don't think I posted this guy here ever so here is a sample. Southern Illinois Red Squirrel with a winter nut.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:54 PM   #3

Both are good cameras if you are shooting in good light. I own the FZ-50 and have never used the FZ-7 but I favor the FZ-50 because I like a larger camera and the more DSLR like features of it. I suggest you go to a store and handle both camera and take the one that you like best, you can't go wrong with either one.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the help and nice pics. Ive handled the fz7 but stores dont have the 50 here. Its gonna be a hard choice
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:40 PM   #5

The fundamental difference between the FZ7 and the FZ50 is the size of the sensor. The FZ50 has an 1/1.8" sensor which is significantly larger than the 1/2.5" of the FZ7. Consequently the image quality of the FZ50 is significantly better than the FZ7 and the FZ20, which als has an 1/2.5" sensor. However, a larger sensor means also a larger camera. Unfortunately the FZ50 unlike the FZ7 produces only aweful videos due to a design flaw. Thus you really can't use it for that purpose.

I own an FZ50.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:43 AM   #6

If size is not a major concern for you, I would think for wildlife photos the FZ50 may be a better choice as the Zoom andMF work much better on the FZ50...IMHO

Also the Extending barrel of the FZ7 is a real pain, again IMHO

Also while I would not care if they never put video on a digital camera, (IMHO) I think the FZ50 video is on par with any of the FZs and as good as most digicamsexcept Canon. Go to this page and near the bottom you will find a movie clip, you can stream it off the net but I would save it to disk, and play it and see what you think. The movies do use a lot of compression ,but the quality is acceptable to me.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...c_fz50-review/

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Fz50 a few minutes ago from B&H. Its my first order from them so im kinda nervous but they have good reviews. I also ordered the 2gb extremeIII card. Any tips about the camera would be appreciated
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:06 PM   #8

You can relax with B+H, I've done a lot of business with them, they are a class act.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:56 PM   #9

You will like your FZ50. Its a wonderful camera and built solid! 3 things you should get a spare battery. Even though ive taken almost 500 pictures on one battery and still had room for more. Only using the screen for very far away shots. 2nd get a lens cap holder. And 3rd a UV filter to protect the lens and I swear my pics look just a little bit better with it on. But that could just be in my head.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:20 PM   #10

Thanks, I ordered a Uv filter with it and will look into batteries soon.