Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:05 PM   #21

Parking and dumpsters over graves is the thing I forgot to mention... I did not want to start a new thread and just got the picture as small as possible. The original thread is too good to detract from IMHO
I was also told, this area had three graves minimum to a plot.. and they were popping up.. not deep in the ground so they would pop up during a bad storm.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:05 PM   #22

Parking and dumpsters over graves is the thing I forgot to mention... I did not want to start a new thread and just got the picture as small as possible. The original thread is too good to detract from IMHO
I was also told, this area had three graves minimum to a plot.. and they were popping up.. not deep in the ground so they would pop up during a bad storm.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 1:56 PM   #23

Thanks Ted and Flymhi. I have always enjoyed history and especially local history. Most of us travel all over, and don't even know much about our own backyard.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:08 PM   #24

Tom, I could not agree with you more about things here, (as far as America's development as a nation). Because we are so young a nation, diversified more so than most any other nation, we do treasure and maintain things of the past. Instead, we often destroy perfectly good stuctures to make way for more modern edifices. One when visiting an old plantation home here called Belle Helene (used in several Hollywood movies) some tourists from London were there. I remember them remarking then, that though the home was impressive, they had pubs at home still operating that were approaching 900 years old and more, and many castles and such. By old world standards, we are in our infancy.

Thanks for viewing and sharing your thoughts, comments and your photo. I like it and appreciate it.

Jerry
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:17 PM   #25

flymhi wrote:
Quote:
Great series. Very interesting.

Funny how you hate history when you`re in school but the older you get the more interesting it becomes.

That's probably because we're no longer worrying whether "its on the test" or not:blah:.

Great pictoriall tour though - the iron casket is interesting!
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:24 PM   #26

Thanks Suzie and I think you're right about why we were not enthralled with history when we were young.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:23 PM   #27

Wow Gerry, what an awesome series you posted. I, too, had never heard of "iron" graves. And it is a shame they do not restore the slave house you showed to make sure we never forget the horrible times they went through. What a neat area you live in and I wish when I had lived there I had taken more time to appreciate where I was. I was only 20 at the time and living with a French Quebeker (long before I met my current hubby) and that is what took me down there.

Thanks again!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:01 PM   #28

Thanks for viewing Annie. I had seen the cast iron casket before. Many of these old graves were vandalized. I did an a search on google for cast iron caskets. Seems they were widely used in the mid 1800s. They have been found in many states. It was noted that they were used mostly by the wealthy as they could cost from $100 to $150 or more. As I noted before, often we don't look around our own surroundings and how it came to being. When I was in the military and stationed in several states, I always went to the local library and looked up the local history.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:16 PM   #29

Really interesting series, Bayou.
I like the muted colours .... seems respectful, somehow.
Sad to feel that all these people seem to have been so totally forgotten.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:16 PM   #30

These are fascinating. Time and nature will eventually wear everything down.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote