Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:01 PM   #1

Haven't been shooting much recently, just too hot to go out at times. However we went out to Shakespeare in the park (Midsummer Night's Dream) and I managed to get a couple before and after.

Here is the sculpture called Neutrino just outside the old Melbourne Observatory. The observatory is only used for educational tours etc as there is way too much light polution for serious science these days.

And across the road a view of the Shrine of Remembrance. This is a memorial to all those fallen in wars. It is the centre of celebrations in Melbourne on ANZAC day (25 April) which has become a major national tradition.

These are my early attempts at night shots and thus far I am pretty happy with what the FZ30 can do. I am hoping to get into town with a tripod one evening and try some different shots.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:09 PM   #2

Rafael, those are two great evening photos. What settings did you use for these and were there and processing? I use the FZ30 and have not been able to get such nice low light photos.

Thanks, Jerry.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:27 PM   #3

Jerry,

On the first there was still plenty of light, though quite cloudy. I nearly always use Aperture Priority Mode. I used f4 as that gave me a 1/100 shutter speed which I wanted as I was squatting to take the shot and hence liable to shake a bit. The first one had the sky detail blown out a bit so I dialled in a negative -1 2/3EV compensation to get the sky detail. That made the scuplture a little darker than I wanted. I brought a little back in PP using the fill light function of adobe camera raw but could not bring it all back without lots of noise.

The second was almost full night and I used and aperture of 3.6 and a 5 second shutter speed. I could not get a bigger aperture given the zoom level and so with the 5s exposure I set the camera up on a park bench to avoid camera shake. Of course that meant that I had a slightly crooked picture as I could not adjust for the bench angle, so I had to do a straightening crop to get it level.

Beyond that I did my normal PP, which is Adobe Camera Raw to check White Balance and Exposure, curves adjustment in LAB mode and some USM on the luminance channel.

OOPS...almost forgot to say thanks for the kind comments and the interest.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:55 PM   #4

Thanks for explaining, Rafael. I sure have a lot to learn about processing. I guess admittly, I have too may interests. What I do is go from one to the other as I feel motivated. I love to read, and especially local history, do genealogy, photogrphy, horses,some carpentry, fishing (boat hasent been used in a while) and a few others. I guess, I am not pointed. I don't know how I ever had time to hold down a working job. I'm now trying to catch up on the things I missed. If only I have time.

Meant to add that I have a few books on Adobe.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote