Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:23 PM   #1

This was taken with my FZ30 at full zoom and 2x digital. it looks good to me.
Attached Images

Russ@onondaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:31 PM   #2

I agree, it looks good to me. I have not tried the digital zoom.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:00 PM   #3

If you took the photo without digital zoom and cropped it you would probably get the same image. I ran some tests for a previous thread and couldn't see the difference. Either way you use 2Mp of your 8Mp sensor.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:16 PM   #4

digital zoom is normally not encouraged, since, as stated, it is just cropping your image and blowing it up, so you lose quality. Even if you don't notice the loss in quality, others may, and well, any loss is a bad thing!

**as far as me noticing a difference, it looks grainy. I don't know if it's because of the Digizoom, or if you saved it as a lower quality jpeg, but it's noticeable.

slipe wrote:
Quote:
If you took the photo without digital zoom and cropped it you would probably get the same image. I ran some tests for a previous thread and couldn't see the difference. Either way you use 2Mp of your 8Mp sensor.
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:30 PM   #5

xfxgeforced wrote:
Quote:
digital zoom is normally not encouraged, since, as stated, it is just cropping your image and blowing it up, so you lose quality. Even if you don't notice the loss in quality, others may, and well, any loss is a bad thing!

Partially agree. Because of the way the FZs do the digital zoom, where they are actually are just using less of the sensor, the drop in quality is not as pronounced as a crop of a jpeg which has already had loss of data through compression from the RAW image. You should in theory get a slighly better result from the EZ Zoom than from a jpeg crop.

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:35 PM   #6

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
xfxgeforced wrote:
Quote:

Partially agree. Because of the way the FZs do the digital zoom, where they are actually are just using less of the sensor, the drop in quality is not as pronounced as a crop of a jpeg which has already had loss of data through compression from the RAW image. You should in theory get a slighly better result from the EZ Zoom than from a jpeg crop.
if you take the shot at the full rez (2560x1920 on my FZ5) then you could just cut out the part of the image you want without having to resize it, while still having a decent sized photo, and not have to worry about losing quality.
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:03 PM   #7

Quote:
That is true only if you extract the digitally zoomed image as raw and the full image as JPG. But if you extract both as JPG at the same quality you are getting the same compression of both images. Since cropping doesn't rearrange or in any way deteriorate an image it would seem you are ending up with the same result either way.

I think all of the FZs use a standard digital zoom for 2X (24X in their boilerplate). You can get a 3Mp image at 21X or a 5Mp image at 17.1X without a resample on the FZ50 and maybe the FZ30. You are still doing the same JPG compression to get the image, so using that mode you are probably getting the same quality as a crop.

But at 2X you are using standard digital zoom with all FZs. Most cameras take an extra in-camera step of interpolating a digitally zoomed image back to full size. So if you take the image without digital zoom the only in-camera step that would deteriorate the raw image is the compression. With 2X digital zoom you first get a resample and then the compression, both of which deteriorate an image. So theoretically the cropped image should be better than the digitally zoomed image. In actual practice it is almost impossible to see the difference.

An interpolation from 2X shouldn't have to rearrange pixels but only add them. Any digital zoom other than exactly 2X and 4X should theoretically cause more interpolation deterioration because the pixels have to be rearranged in the upsample. Again, in the real world you can't really see the difference – at least I can't.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote