Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:21 AM   #1

I have a FZ20 and have been wanting to upgrade for sometime, thinking Panasonic would introduce an FZ model with a larger CCD that would prevent an ISO 200 snap looking like Ektachrome 400.

Really disappointed and don't see any of the newer ultrazoom models with a larger CCD.

I guess I will move to the D50.

What does everyone think?

mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2

I also have a FZ20 (bought few more than 2 years ago)

The problem is that they can't do Ultra ZOom with large CCDs, without making the lens and cam much largerin size...

When I bought the FZ20 one of the (few) things disappoining me a bit (aside the sensibly narrow Dynamic Range, some WB problems and Color casts and noise) was the fact that Full 5Mp images looked soft, noisy and especially too heavily "noise reduced". I rarely use 100% crops.

FZ50 pics, are if possible even worse seen at 100% (although the increased resol. is visible in the prints and screeen size reduced images).
Maybe it's too late to but a FZ30 now...

Anyhow I also look forward to DSLR like EOS 350D, which are way better cams, maybe another world compared to FZs. But considering the prices of good optics (without which the differences with UZ are very small), I think I ll always need an comfortable UZ beside the reflex...

Narmer

http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:10 PM   #3

Just my 0.02$

I've got the fz5, and like it but also had some problems with the noise at higher ISO's. First I thought the fz50 would be the solution but although it has less noise than the fz5 it wasn't an enough improvement to upgrade.

All fz?? owners are just spoiled, we've got a great camera with a top class lens, but only at the lower iso's. So IMHO the only upgrade from any fz is a dslr.

Only remember when you do go down that path, that it's not cheap and it takes a little more work to get the same quality of shot's you get with your pana.
Last december I bought a Pentax K10D and some lenses and am really happy with it.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:13 PM   #4

Mlhm,

You gets what you pay for. The FZxx range seem like awesome camera to me (I have the FZ30). Fantastic handling, terrific lens, excellent reach, great value. They are NOT though perfect, the limitations of the sensor do mean that particularly at higher ISO noise is an issue and shooting RAW is not always the answer.

In relation to the CCD size, the physics would prevent any increase in size without a significant increase in lens size. I think what we can hope for is an improvement in the low light performance of the CCD and an increase in buffer/speed.

The D50 or any other DSLR will undoubtedly leave the FZxx in the dust for speed and for low light high iso performance. For that you trade off price and single package convenience. Life is always a trade off, just gotta work out what is most important to you.

In my case, as an absolute beginner wanting to improve, the FZxx range is perfect as the major limitation in taking good shots, is the fool behind the camera (ie yours truly). Some day I may get to the point that I have outgrown the FZ30, but I can't see that day yet.

Enjoy shooting, whatever the gadget!
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:20 PM   #5

mlhm5 wrote:
Quote:
I have a FZ20 and have been wanting to upgrade for sometime, thinking Panasonic would introduce an FZ model with a larger CCD that would prevent an ISO 200 snap looking like Ektachrome 400.

Really disappointed and don't see any of the newer ultrazoom models with a larger CCD.

I guess I will move to the D50.

What does everyone think?

I'ma littledisappointed with the newPany modelsthus far and see no reason things will get better later in the year. But that's truewith all the digicam manufacturers. Pany isn't alone. Sensor technolgy hit a wall. If your looking for a seriousupgrade to the fz20 (intr 7/04)or the fz5 (intr 2/05), your not going to find it. There have been significant hardware feature improvements, but the key part, theccd, is basically the same. Software/firmware advances are by and large make-overs and cover-ups as they've always been, only moreso now. They have managed to get somewhat usable higher iso, but iso200-400 hasn't improved much.

Fuji has has done a relatively good jobin their low zoompocketable fxx series mainly due to larger sensors. There' still alot of in-camera processing going on. They havn't made any waves in the ultra zoom market and they won't until they getIS.

As alreadynoted, increasing the size of the sensorincreases the size of the camera,most likely to where it loses it's appeal - particularly with ultra zoom lens. If you must upgrade (2.5 years isn't a real long time) andnone of the new features isjustificationfor a quasi-upgrade, your only choice is a dslr.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:40 PM   #6

I have a FZ20 and a FZ30 which has a larger sensor...but they just pack more mp in the thing......I wish the would stop with more MP thing.

I just can not help but feel if they would make the FZ50 with 7 or 8 mp they would have a fine camera.

I also have a D50......and its definately better in low light (much better for sports)but in good light the FZ30 can hold its own against it.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote