Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1

A really gray day. First two are ISO 200, and show a tree that the local beavers must think is very tasty as they usually ignore the large ones. Clicking on any of these will take you directly to the large size on flickr for more detail.

This head shot is ISO 400. If you look at orignal size it is less then perfect but I think the large one and this medium one turned out well. As you can see, it is a drab day. Occasional flakes, but mostly just plain drab. He is a nice head though. I wonder if any animals or birds live in there.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:27 PM   #2

Interesting shots Happy, you can really see the teeth marks left by the beaver. Is that head in a park or something? Also look in the tree on the right, is that a large bird in it?
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:37 PM   #3

Either that or a squirrel nest? The Beavers are really doing a job on that tree. Nice pics.
cal 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:10 AM   #4

There is a manmade branch of the Chicago River beyond these shots, and there are a few miles of bike paths and what is called Sculpture Park, a collection of strange artwork. The little picture below is my favorite at the moment. Clicking on it will take you to a set from the park. I didn't mention in my original post but the reason I posted beaver wood is for people who don't have them around so they could see the results of those teeth on wood.

As to in the tree to the right, it is either a squirrel nest or belongs to some kind of bird. What with the river there and surrounded by civilization it could belong to a small heron or a crow if it is not a squirrel.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:22 AM   #5

Hey, I'd feel right at home in your sculpture park. Really liked those.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:32 AM   #6

All are very nice, Steve. Enjoyed going through Sculpture Park. Once in a while we get a few beavers, and they cut down the small trees. They are trapped here on a regular basis, because they do so much damage and cause flooding with their dams.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:38 AM   #7

interesting photos!!! what is the last photo of? never quite seen a sculpture like that before!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:38 AM   #8

Great shots of the Sculpture Park.
I'll have to check it out next time I take the Amtrak to Chi-town.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:07 AM   #9

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
interesting photos!!! what is the last photo of? never quite seen a sculpture like that before!!!
Annie, I have no idea what any of the sculptures are. Well, I take that back, the ones that are heads or figures I can tell, and if you looked at the set I can tell the one is a Japanese Garden, but otherwise, they have sign posts but no signs, and they are mainly weird. Interesting though. There is a sculpture park society and maybe they have a map or something and I will learn someday. Their could be a lot more I have not yet taken pictures of. The place goes a few miles and I have ridden my bike from end to end a few times, but never walked it to take pictures before I got my FZ7.
Steve
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:10 AM   #10

tinosa wrote:
Quote:
Great shots of the Sculpture Park.
I'll have to check it out next time I take the Amtrak to Chi-town
If you are staying downtown you might wish to check out Northerly Island and the three Daphne sculptures. I have a set with those on flickr also. They are very nice.