Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1

There are sure a lot on interesting looking new cameras coming out this year. The OLY 550 with a 18x optical zoom (28mm to 504) and now two Sony's with 15X zoom. IF Panasonic doesn't come up with something (with a different sensor) they are going to lose a lot of sales. So far I haven't heard any thing about new Panasonic to replace the FZ-50.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:55 PM   #2

You are right. The pressure is hotting up. They have already announced a bunch of smaller models (fz8, TZ2&3 etc) which look interesting. I suspect that Panasonic will announce something else around July/August for a September/October release. That was when the announced the FZ50 last year. I did not think the changes were big enough to delay my purchase, so I bought an FZ30. Panasonics still have the handling edge in my view. What I would like to see :
  1. improved sensor/processing for low light/noise[/*]
  2. no more MP, in fact somewhere in th 6-8 range is probably enough[/*]
  3. compressed RAW (even if you used DNG it halves the size)[/*]
  4. buffer to allow for faster bursts, and bursts in RAW[/*]
  5. Extend the exposure bracketing/exposure compensation range by a couple of stops[/*]
  6. improvements in the manual focus [/*]
  7. extend the zoom range down to 28/24[/*]
  8. F2.8 through whole range
[/*]
If I got all those I would seriously consider saving for an upgrade. Anything much less would see me remaining a happy FZ30 owner.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:34 PM   #3

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
You are right. The pressure is hotting up. They have already announced a bunch of smaller models (fz8, TZ2&3 etc) which look interesting. I suspect that Panasonic will announce something else around July/August for a September/October release. That was when the announced the FZ50 last year. I did not think the changes were big enough to delay my purchase, so I bought an FZ30. Panasonics still have the handling edge in my view. What I would like to see :
  1. improved sensor/processing for low light/noise[/*]
  2. no more MP, in fact somewhere in th 6-8 range is probably enough[/*]
  3. compressed RAW (even if you used DNG it halves the size)[/*]
  4. buffer to allow for faster bursts, and bursts in RAW[/*]
  5. Extend the exposure bracketing/exposure compensation range by a couple of stops[/*]
  6. improvements in the manual focus [/*]
  7. extend the zoom range down to 28/24[/*]
  8. F2.8 through whole range[/*]
If I got all those I would seriously consider saving for an upgrade. Anything much less would see me remaining a happy FZ30 owner.
I agree wholeheartedly with item #2 on your list. I have an FZ20 and decided to buy a Nikon D50 instead of going for an upgrade to an FZ30 or FZ50. I really wanted to buy a camera that had a better sensor, and for the camera to have significantly better low light high iso/low noise performance. I would rather have gone with a new high quality fixed lens FZ zoom model to get this, if for no other reason that to avoid getting back into buying expensive detachable camera lenses, but after watching two upgrades beyond the FZ20 come and go I decided it was time to take advantage of the declining price in dslr models to get some of the things I wanted most on my next camera upgrade. Now if it just wasn't so expensive to buy a nice lens with image stabalization that can come close to matching the range of the lens on my FZ20. But they are expensive and for that reason I don't think I'll be retiring my FZ20 to the closet shelf anytime soon. I'll still rely on it and a TCON 300b exclusively for daylight long zoom shots.
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:10 PM   #4

One additional thing I would like to see is an improvement in focusing and focusing speed. After using DSLR the focusing on the FZ-50 can be painfully slow.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote