Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:19 PM   #1

Default Panasonic fz1

Got the cam last week and I LOVE it...ya just dont need more then 2 pix for day in and day out shots...the 12x zoom more then make up for it....the only question I have is downloading the files from the cam...the first question is it better to pop the card out of the camera and use a card reader, or just download with the usb cable?, and second....if you use the usb cable you need to remove the lens cap so it can extend when you power up the cam...is there any way around this?? Just seems like extra wear and tear on the cam and battery just to download..

Thanks
draxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2003, 4:29 PM   #2

I always prefer to use a card reader.
Its far quicker.
I wish you well with your new camera and know you will gain much pleasure using it .

David
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:40 PM   #3

Default Don't use the supplied software

Love the camera, but the downloading software is awful. Seems to change the file name! Did not bother the figure it out after. I just uninstall it, and transfer using window explorer. But the camera is just super cool. I am one of those who seldom use more than 2mp, even on a 5mp camera. With this camera, I find myself taking 100+ photos in under 1 hour, because there just so much oppotunities. Anyone tried using teleconverter with it? The attachment ring is plastic, but feel solid. Will the olympus TCON 1.7 work? It got a 55mm tread. Anyone tried a wide-converter?
Otime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 6:32 AM   #4

I find it easier to use a card reader. I also found that if using a usb cable if you set the camera to Play the lens does not extend and you can leave the cap on. I leave the plastic lens hood adapter on all the time and have a 55m uv filter on the end of it to protect the lens mostly but if you have it this way the lens can extend inside the adapter without having to take of the cap as well.
Rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 7:44 AM   #5

Default Re: Don't use the supplied software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otime
Anyone tried using teleconverter with it? The attachment ring is plastic, but feel solid. Will the olympus TCON 1.7 work? It got a 55mm tread.
55mm thread is set too far back to screw in TCON17. You need to attach UV filter then attach TCON17 to the UV filter. Another alternative, is to CAREFULLY cut or grind down the adapter ring so that the threads won't be set too far back any more. I chose to cut the ring down - this seemed to allow filters (as well as TCON17) to attach even more securely to the adapter. It is plastic, so the more threads you can latch on to the better off you are - especially with a hefty piece of glass like a TCON17 stuck to it.

(These solutions were previously posted by CHRASHER & FSW of DPREVIEW.COM forums)
leepfrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 7:28 AM   #6

Default Tele-convereter

I use a 2x teleconverter with the FZ1. It's a Sony VCL-ES20 with 52mm thread attachment, which has good quality glass optics — not plastic. It works very well. You will need a 55-52mm step-down ring to fit the plastic adapter that fits the camera's 55mm filter thread. In fact, I leave this barrel permanently fitted to the camera (with the step down ring attached) to protect the lens when it is in use.
commie is offline   Reply With Quote