Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1

I know the technical crap and all, I can get to all the features, modes, whatever. However, many of my recent pictures just havn't been up to par with what I'd like to see... Am I being overly critical or is there something else I'm missing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ets/Briggs.jpg
Not the worst, but colors are over-saturated

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hotos/Meow.jpg
"P" mode

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Yawn_Back.jpg
Taken with my old Kodak DX4---(I forget the exact model)

I have a UV filter now, but that's not causing the 'problem'. I've been having such issues for a while now :-/ Any insights on how to set this beast up?
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:53 PM   #2

Well the first one is not bad.....seems as though the WB may be a bit off but thats a guess.

The second one is for sure not good.....but I can not see the exif so I can only guess and maybe not very well.

Were you closer than 7 ft? At a focal length over 135mm.....you must be 7 ft away.

With my FZ20 I prefer spot focus and metering.

I also do not like CAF so I turn it off.

Maybe a minus 1/3 exposure comp.

And Image stabilizer on mode 2.

But if you have the UF filter mounted on the stock Panasonic adapter....I would not be sure that it may not be part of the problem.

And if the filter is a cheap one thats even more of a possibility....if either of those are true,I would removethe filteruntil you sort out the problem.......The FZ20 will take very nice photos....but low light can be a challenge.

Edit

I always add... the choices I mentioned are mine and you may or may not find them useful for you.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:52 PM   #3

As a FZ20 owner/operator, here's my two bits.

Image 1 - the gray tabby

The main problem is the use of the flash. You are too close for the flash strength so there is some over exposure on his face. You can throttle down the flash via the 4 way controller or move back a bit. Also try, as genece mentionned, spot metering on the white blaze on his nose.

It also looks like you have a bit of magenta caste. That is a known issue with the FZ20. With the FZ20 I NEVER use the Flash WB option. For flash I set my white balance to "Sun" and with the 4 way controller, adjust the white balance 3 or 4 clicks to the RED side.

Image 2 - black cat

That is a classic FZ20 exposure issue. Black animals are always tough to begin with for most P&S type digicams and it is compounded with having the sun somewhere behind and to the right of the cat. If you used spot metering on the blown out grass and then some fill flash it may have worked. The cats face is also out of focus. I see this Exposure/WB issue all the time with my FZ20 when shooting soccer games. Just the wrong angle of sun and a lot of grass and the camera just flakes out.

I find if I use "Multiple" metering I usually need to use -1/3 EV or even -2/3EV. With Center Weighted metering I still use -1/3EV. I'll often half press the shutter several times and recompose the scene until I see the camera set a better exposure. Just part of the character of the FZ20.

I always used to use spot metering on white uniforms and +1/3EV or +2/3EV but lately I've gone to Multiple metering but with EV adjusted.

I hope this helps. It's a fun camera despite it shortcomings or as some people say... eccentric character. Just shoot lots, experiment more, and you'll learn your limits.

Newsy http://newsy.smugmug.com/
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definetly play with the settings some as you guys mentioned and see what happenes. I heard this camera required lots of manual settings, but I didn't expect this much :roll: Oh well, more for me to learn

As for the EXIF data, I cut it down in photoshop, so it lost the info. I can paste if here if you guys would like to see it.

The barrel is some other, non-panasonic(I beleive) The lens is quite close to the filter. As for the filter I'm using is a cheaper one, but i've done a few other comparisons without much difference. I can try more later, but I just REALLY hate getting crap on the huge lens...

Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:17 PM   #5

You know I have been using the FZ cameras for a while now and I use them almost entirely in program mode....so I am not one that believes you need to use manual mode......if you wish to fine, but its not necessary.

Here is a link to some photos taken in P mode with either the FZ10 or 20

http://imageevent.com/grc6/toshareonnet

exif but if you use the save for web option that does strip the exif.

I would guess about 80 % of the photos in the above link have been thru PS and if you click on the show full exif button you will see its still there.

To kind of make the point that P mode works fine, my wife uses the FZ cameras also and she only knows 3 buttons the on/off switch----the shutter button and the zoom button.

Once you find some settings that fit your style of focusing and metering ....taking nice photos is simple.

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:18 AM   #6

What I do with my photos, I open them in Photoshop then drag the image into a blank 1024x768 image(thus loosing the EXIF info) From there I shink the layer/image. It keeps them more consitant that way, rather than random croping or just simply shinking them and not croping.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:01 PM   #7

Whatever works for you.....but I see no need for that procedure.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:04 PM   #8

I'm a horrible perfectionist. I want my pictures to all be 800x600 when posting online. If I just crop "by hand", they'll become odd resolutions :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Mini_comp.jpg

Here's a recent picture. It turned out a little dark, but I used "Auto Levels" in Photoshop and I'm pleased with the colors and everything produced. Tried on that White Balance as mentioned, I think one tick towards red. I might of had the exposure down a tick as well(probably cause that darkness mentioned :P )
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:40 PM   #9

If you wish it cropped to that size why not use the crop tool and set the dimensions to 800 X 600 or you can make a preset tool at that size......or if you want the whole image to get that size just type 800 in the long dimension of the image size dialog box make sure resample is checked and bicubic sharper is chosen.

But I may be missing the point....and the photo looks nice.