Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:20 PM   #1

Last week was the Chicago Maritime Festival and my first use of my FZ7 indoors. I had a few concerns, after all, most reviews pan any ISO over 200 due to noise. But, the daughter was going to be on stage a few times and I wanted to have some memories. I ended up quite pleased with the camera. Although, had I waited and bought an FZ8 I may have been more pleased as I think that one would have allowed me to speed up the shutter at ISO 800 since I was photographing some lively singers.

(Edited to add this was at the Chicago History Museum in case you wonder about the background in that first picture.)

Flash, ISO 200, 1/80th second. Before the opening song

No Flash, ISO 200, 1/80th second. Not a very bright place. Singing group is Bounding Main.

No Flash, ISO 400, 1/80th second.

No Flash, ISO 800, 1/80th second. Color corrected only because I had set white balance a bit wrong. Gina and Christie.

No Flash, ISO 800, 1/8th second. In the auditorium. So dark I could not see the speaker. You can see his legs in the right lower corner.

In addition, I took some videos. If you click on the link below, then slide down the right hand column to the picture of the sailor at the bottom and click on it you can hear a brand new shanty song which was introduced at the festival. And you can go to the photo gallery and see a lot more pictures with my FZ7 in the performances section. For some reason the video won't work with Firefox but works with IE.

http://boundingmain.com/
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:53 PM   #2

I think I'd would be happy with those. Cannot see any of the dreaded noise. It might be there if you pixel peep, but at this size those shots are fine. The one of the two singers looks paricularly good with plenty of light and you managed 1/80th which is enough to freeze basic motion.

Well done
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:30 PM   #3

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
I think I'd would be happy with those. Cannot see any of the dreaded noise. It might be there if you pixel peep, but at this size those shots are fine. The one of the two singers looks paricularly good with plenty of light and you managed 1/80th which is enough to freeze basic motion.

Well done
Thanks. I posted at this size since I had a whole string I wanted to post, but even at full screen size they look just as good. If you look at the pictures posted at the Bounding Main site some of them were taken in the auditorium during the evening concert, quite gloomy but the shots worked. As long as the stage people were not too lively at the time. I am putting one of them below.

ISO 800, no flash. 1/6th second. Peeking from backstage with the lens poked through the backdrop curtain. This is why I wish I could control speed at high ISOs. But, even though Maggie and Dean look a bit blurry, it is a noiseless shot and the fixtures are sharp as a tribute to O.I.S., as I am a shakey guy.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:04 PM   #4

They look good to me Happy, I would sure be happy with them. Now you have your memories captured.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote