Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:23 AM   #1

Since buying my FZ-50 I have stayed with using P mode or the in camera programed modes like action, scenery, etc. But decided to try and get a little better with it and used the S mode. It was a very dark and dreary day so im not surehow good I did.

Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:27 AM   #2

those are all very nice , I especially liked the one of the swan in front of the tree (interesting composition)
robass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:25 AM   #3

Nice series. Really clear shots. All the whites are handled nicely.
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:38 AM   #4

Another interesting series!!!! The one of the all the pigeons is intersting and I also like the one of the swan in front of the tree...might be neat if you cropped it in a little more to see what it might look like....our temperature are -12C right now!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:04 PM   #5

Thanks for all the nice comments.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:21 PM   #6

How did you get the swans to pose in the same position for you. Terrific effort to capture them that way. I quite liked the heron in shot 4, but It might have been better balanced with all the shhadow in shot.

The S mode seems to have worked well for you. I have been doing a photography class recently to improve my skills. The photos I posted of Sunday in the city were part of the shoot for that class. The instructor in the class highly recommended that we stick to A mode. His rationale was that in A mode you get to choose both aperture and shutter speed as you widen aperture you increase shutter speed and vice verca. Whilst S mode does the same, he advised against S because you can more easily dial in a shutter speed that gives incorrect exposure than you can dial in an incorrect aperture value.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:09 PM   #7

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
How did you get the swans to pose in the same position for you. Terrific effort to capture them that way. I quite liked the heron in shot 4, but It might have been better balanced with all the shhadow in shot.

The S mode seems to have worked well for you. I have been doing a photography class recently to improve my skills. The photos I posted of Sunday in the city were part of the shoot for that class. The instructor in the class highly recommended that we stick to A mode. His rationale was that in A mode you get to choose both aperture and shutter speed as you widen aperture you increase shutter speed and vice verca. Whilst S mode does the same, he advised against S because you can more easily dial in a shutter speed that gives incorrect exposure than you can dial in an incorrect aperture value.
These swans are not scared of people at all. In fact i have seen them get a little testy when people get a little close. But I stayed there for a while until they were comfortable with me. The eventually the let me sit righ next to them within a foot. And another advantage of the superzoom is there is no shutter noise. Everytime somebody would come around with a DSRL they would get a tad restless and sometimes all the pigeons would go flying all at once from the noise.

Thanks for that I think on my next outing I will the A mode.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:11 PM   #8

I like the black bird with the red bill. I think it is a goose. They are all fine though. Although I did not learn it in a photography class, I am becoming a fan of A mode myself. A few times in S mode or manual I had the shutter speed too high for conditions and ruined a good shot. I think there is more leeway in A.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:24 PM   #9

Quote:
I like the black bird with the red bill. I think it is a goose.
It is actually a black swan. We don't have many white ones down here but plenty of the back type.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote