Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:09 AM   #1

Hi to all.

As the Moon Pics are getting better and better, now mine are getting worse. I did take the liberty to grab my untested new nikon Teleconverter and try it out at the moon-during an eclipse.
Frankly, the FZ30 is a light hungry S*..aehm, it needs a lot of light. Which is not an issue if the moon is well lit by sunlight. But I did have to open up the apperture and did use ISO200-no go unless I did that. And I didn´t dare going much faster than a half second or such. I did a lot of pics and cropped from the one that looked best (the nearly total clouds and increased humidity in the air didn`t help, either). I used remote control and left the balcony during pics. So I did everything I could, but frankly, I think I need a DSLR to come close to doing it properly :-{

I still do have some raw pics, and did not do extensive filtering on this one but merely cropped. No Time, I just got up;-)

Btw-this Pic was taken during the total eclipse time.

Cheers,
Mash
Attached Images

RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:05 PM   #2

The FZ-30 can do it, keep trying. Unless you want to buy a DSLR and spend a lot on a lens you will not get anything better and probably not as good as the FZ-30 + TCON-17. Most moon shots regardless of the camera are about conditions as well as lenses.
Another option for really great moon shots is digiscoping and I think Roger can help you with that.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:16 PM   #3

This is how the moon looked before it became totally eclipsed. I do think that the FZ30 is not capablle to get a good shot when the moon really is fully eclipsed. But during eclipse I wanted to capture the red, eerie glow. And that was first pic. Maybe if it was mounted on a extremly sturdy tripod with an permanent position correction, an astronomic mount, then one could use a longer exposure. But for now, I do not think it is feasible _during_ the eclipse.

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:24 PM   #4

To proof Tcook right, in his point: This is a pic I took on Gran Canaria(Olympus Tcon-17)-but without an eclipse and a precariously on the edge of an table perched mini tripod from my Hotel balcony.
So, I can do it without eclipse. But unless someone shows me the tricks how to do it during an eclipse( I used the exposure bias +2 trick, I increased the sensitivity to 200, I choose maximum apperture, I used an electrical remote release, I used the new, much bettser Nikon Teleconverter, I checke all glass Surfaces for smear and cleaned them, I left the balcony during release, I tried stabilistaion off,and mode 2, I used autofocus and tried manual focus (Did not work because even touching the camera made the pic blurry)), it seems a No-go for me. But iIhave been surprised as to what is possible with this camera on this board time over time, so keep coming ;-)

Maybe I can try on the next eclipse ;-)

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:30 PM   #5

And, by the way, I have spent a remarkable amount of time on the net during the last months researching a didgiscope...but I did not buy yet :-{
Seemolf offerd some pics so good, I got the digiscoping Version of Lens envy.
*shouts out to the German sky*: Seemolf, I´m after you! And I will try to get as good a pic as you did, and even if it is probabaly the last thing I´ll do!

Telecorder was very helpfull to reach the stage I can do now, and there were some very good postings on digiscoping, I know.

But for this eclipse, there would probably only be one solution, that has a lot of apperture. So I am contmeplating buying a Maksutov-cassegrain, there is a very cheap one called "Russentonne" in Germany, made by the russians, obviously, and maybe even a better one, not just as cheap.

This is what others could do, only they went beyond one second, and used DSLR´s which do have some advantages in adverse light conditions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/409230105
http://www.flickr.com/photos/turfcut...ool-astronomy/

Cheers,
RealMash
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:46 PM   #6

Great lunar shots! D onna

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote