Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:03 AM   #1

I hope to have my camera in time to go to Charleston, South Carolina (I've never been before)next week but it will be close. I won't have much time to play with it before I leave. If all goes well I will be using it to shoot outdoors shots. Dolphins (hopefully), sunsets, sunrises, gardens, the ocean, historic buildings...

How will I do with manual settings? Since I won't have much time to experiment are there settings I might have better luck with in certain situations? I've heard people talk about the sharpness and noise settings. Should those be tweaked or leftalone? I am also getting a polarizer.Any thing I should know when using one of those?

Also, I looked but couldn't find info about how many pictures memory cards hold. Right now I just have a few 256 cards and want to know how many the larger cards hold.

And finally (I think) does any one know the dimensions of the camera with the hood on? Do you recommend leaving the hood on in the bag? I am looking for a bag and want to get the "right" size.

I appreciate any and all input!
stacy0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:34 AM   #2

Why not try Program mode? With Auto Shift shutter and aperature are linked. For outdoor shots, the smaller the aperature, the better the depth of field, As you stop down the lens, the shutter speed will automatically compensate for it. If you are taking action shots, modify the shutter speed, the faster the better, and the lens will change to reflect the shutter speed changes. As far as the polarizer goes, you should be able to see the results through your viewfinder or on the LCD as you rotate the polarizer. Good luck. You should love Charleston. I lived near there for 5 years. Try the shrimp and grits with Tasso gravy at Magnolia's.
ingda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:08 PM   #3

stacy0w wrote:
Quote:
I hope to have my camera in time to go to Charleston, South Carolina (I've never been before)next week but it will be close. I won't have much time to play with it before I leave. If all goes well I will be using it to shoot outdoors shots. Dolphins (hopefully), sunsets, sunrises, gardens, the ocean, historic buildings...
Quote:
You will most likely do fine in auto mode and uless you understand exposure pretty well I would save experimenting with manual mode until after the trip.
Quote:
Quote:
How will I do with manual settings? Since I won't have much time to experiment are there settings I might have better luck with in certain situations? I've heard people talk about the sharpness and noise settings. Should those be tweaked or leftalone? I am also getting a polarizer.Any thing I should know when using one of those?
Quote:
If you have time to experiment first....Put the camera in P mode and in the menu turn off Continuous auto focus. Put the Stabilizer on mode 2 and set the focus mode to one area high speed focus,and set the sensitivity to ISO auto, and NR on low ,and take some photos and see how you do.
Quote:
The FZ50 is a very smart camera....it meters very well and the focus is quick and accurate.
Quote:

Also, I looked but couldn't find info about how many pictures memory cards hold. Right now I just have a few 256 cards and want to know how many the larger cards hold.

And finally (I think) does any one know the dimensions of the camera with the hood on? Do you recommend leaving the hood on in the bag? I am looking for a bag and want to get the "right" size.
Quote:
5" X 6 1/2" with the hood on. And I never take the hood off. but if you need to remove it to fit the bag it will just reverse on the lens barrel and take up no room at all.
Quote:
and a 2gb card holds over 500 FZ30 photos at the best JPG settings so I think 400 or sofrom the FZ50.

I appreciate any and all input!
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:18 PM   #4

Agree with the others 100%. Program mode is the way to go until you get a chance to play. It metres fairly well and you should be getting pretty good shots staright of the cam.

Congratulations on the purchase by the way, and have a fine trip.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:23 PM   #5

Thanks so much for all the valuable information! I will print it out and take it with me!

Stacy
stacy0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:06 PM   #6

You might want to try using manual once in awhile. Just set the aperture at F5.6 and then adjust the shutter speed until the picture looks good (I usually make the picture look a little dark) and then take the shot. This assumes there is enough light to keep the shutter speed high enough not to blur the shot.
For sunsets use the P mode or what I suggested above and put the camera in manual focus. Using the manual focus assist button focus the camera where you want it and then move the camera around and half press the shutter to meter the light. Do this at various points, usually higher then your focus point, then when the scene and colors look the way you want hold the shutter down and return to your focus point and take the shot. Be sure not to bump the manual focus ring during this process or it sill loose focus.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:25 PM   #7

I just purchased an FZ50 myself - with it being an upgrade from the very simple pocket-sized point-and-shoot Canon I had. I received the camera 3 days before a vacation trip to Mexico and wanted to get some great beach shots and Mayan ruins (Tulum) shots. I was nervous because I was taking a step up with this camera that seems to do everything. I read numerous reviews and the one on DCRecource.com really helped me out. I printed it out and read it before the trip and once more on the plane. I felt like I already knew the camera when I got it. It also pointed out which options/setting are best. Check it out - http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

And the hood can be turned around and placed over the barrel of the lens for storage - which makes it a little more compact. I chose a fairly small bag from Wolf Camera.

By the way, I just got back last night and downloaded my pictures to my PC - They areBEAUTIFUL! I took most of my shots in Program mode and made some slight adjustments from time to time - aperture/f-stop and shutter speed.

Have a great trip, enjoy the camera, and happy shooting!
photogary is offline   Reply With Quote