Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:39 PM   #1

This piece of ice was down by the lake and I liked the way the sky colors crept into it. Not just this one, there are a few more I posted on flickr if you want to go see them. It is worth clicking on this to go see the full size version in my opinion. But I could be baised since I lke to froze walking the beach to take a few pictures.

And, yeah, I know you warm people are glad you don't have to deal with our winter. I am getting a bit annoyed with it myself. It was above freezing not so very long ago.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:44 PM   #2

It is worth going to the larger photo....looks monolithic. I like. )
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:21 PM   #3

No you are NOT biased. The full size IS worth it. Thanks for pointing it out. The blues in it are terrific.

Looking at it I wondered what a shot with nothing but the ice block (perhaps in portrait) would look like. Just in case you happen to be out walking by the lake again.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:54 PM   #4

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:

Looking at it I wondered what a shot with nothing but the ice block (perhaps in portrait) would look like. Just in case you happen to be out walking by the lake again.
If you could expand on that a bit? I tried the shot with aperture set at f5 to blur out the background as much as possible. (Could not open it wider without overexposing.) By portrait do you mean turning the camera sideways? As far as getting rid of background, I have two choices at the lake; setting the ice block on a jetty so I can get low enough to have nothing but sky behind it, or putting it up against the concrete jetty side so I have a sort of featureless background. I don't know what that would do to the light caught in the ice though. I am open to suggestions as I am always trying to improve.

Of course, the odds are even if still sunny tomorrow I will be working with new ice, as the lake is in surf mode and things change day to day.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:18 PM   #5

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
If you could expand on that a bit? I tried the shot with aperture set at f5 to blur out the background as much as possible. (Could not open it wider without overexposing.) By portrait do you mean turning the camera sideways? As far as getting rid of background, I have two choices at the lake; setting the ice block on a jetty so I can get low enough to have nothing but sky behind it, or putting it up against the concrete jetty side so I have a sort of featureless background. I don't know what that would do to the light caught in the ice though. I am open to suggestions as I am always trying to improve.

Of course, the odds are even if still sunny tomorrow I will be working with new ice, as the lake is in surf mode and things change day to day.
I think you did a good job to blur out the background. I was thinking of a different sort of shot. I meant actually getting close enough to it so that it takes up the whole shot. I reckon it would make a really good close up with even more detail than you already have and we concentrate on the patterns in the ice and the colour of the light as it goes through it. It then becomes an abstract shot with colours and patterns.

Here is an example with your shot cropped, but I think you could take an even better one with a close up.

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:29 PM   #6

I like both of those shots and neat contrasts with the blue!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:37 PM   #7

Congratulations happy-p. I would never have thought of taking just the block.
I really like your original shot - the background serves to put the block in context IMHO.... and thus makes a sort of photo story.
rafinmelb's idea also works great - interesting how the abstract totally changes the mood of the photo and brings out a different emphasis on the colours! Like a surreal sort of landscape!
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:51 PM   #8

Looking at rafinmelb's crop reminds me of how many times since I got the camera I have actually filled the frame with ice, only to get home, look at them full size and then delete them because the ice was so dirty inside. So when I finally get some clean ice I don't even think of it. It is good to have outside input now and then.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:53 PM   #9

Yes Happy, sometimes one just has to see a larger picture to really appreciate it, well done.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:52 PM   #10

Happy, that is a great photo, and as far your winter, nuff said. However, I do love to view your winter scenes along with all the others in the reefer. And even when I am cold, I am grateful for our mild winters. Thanks for the suffering to share.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote