Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:17 PM   #1

Hi! everyone,

These are the pictures taken by FZ 30 at the baton rouge zoo and a nearby lake. you can see from pics, I am still learning.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...e/P1010127.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...24thsep074.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...e/P1010081.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...e/P1010130.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...e/P1010152.jpg

Please let me know your critical comments.

sandeep
sandybhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:21 PM   #2

sandeep,

In each of these images I can see what you found of interest, they are also fgocussed and the exposure is fine. Where I think you probably need to do some work is in composition. That is in framing the photograph so that what you found interesting about the scene is conveyed to others. I would advise perhaps looking up "composition" and "rule of thirds" and "golden mean" in google and having a look through some of those articles.

A couple of more specific observations are:
  • most of your subjects are centred and as a general rule in photography as in art this is not recommended. If you imagine you shot divided into three by two horizontal and two vertical lines you should aim to have stuff happen along those lines and perhaps have your subject at one of the four meeting points of the lines[/*]
  • a number of your shots have not got close enough to the subject and so there is a lot of clutter around the subject. You could use the zoom or crop the photo to help this.
[/*]
As an example here is a suggested crop for the shot I like best. All I have done with this shot is crop it to follow the rule of thirds. We now have the ledge running along the bottom of the horizontalline (roughly). The heads and horns run along the right hand vertical thirds lines (roughly) and the eyes are approximately near the meeting of the top horizontal line and the right vertcal line. Don't have the tools here to draw the lines on screen.

Beyond this you may use some post processing to perhaps get a little extra brightness, and some local contrast, perhaps a little sharpening to give the picture more 'pop'.

Please remember though that the final arbiter of what you like is you. This is merely the opinion of one person who is but days ahead of you in my journey to learn about photography. Hope this was what you were looking for.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:53 PM   #3

Thanks rafinmelb,

That is excatly what I was looking for, No pp done on any of thesephotos ( and so lot of room to play), I will work onyour specific comments and sugeestions.

As you rightly pointed out, I have a lot learning and reading to do and a long way to go.I appreciate youtaking time and letting me know how to improvise , thank you so much, by the way I have a questions , how to post the pictures and not just the link.

Thanks once agin,

sandeep
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:30 PM   #4

sandybhale wrote:
Quote:
...by the way I have a questions , how to post the pictures and not just the link.
Sandeep,

When you are in the little editor posting your message, there are a number of icons at the top for various editing functions (bold, Italicm lef justification etc). The icon to the right of the two quotes (fourth from right on the top line) pops up a little box where you can enter the link and it will insert you photo.

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:07 PM   #5

Hi, Sandy, some nice photos. Please keep posting and welcome.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:15 AM   #6

Thanks bayourebel, learning a lot from guys like you.

Thanks for watching,

sandeep
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:42 AM   #7

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
sandybhale wrote:
Quote:
...by the way I have a questions , how to post the pictures and not just the link.
Sandeep,

When you are in the little editor posting your message, there are a number of icons at the top for various editing functions (bold, Italicm lef justification etc). The icon to the right of the two quotes (fourth from right on the top line) pops up a little box where you can enter the link and it will insert you photo.

Another way you can do this is by putting your photos on photobucket. Each picture will then have a number of link choices under it and you can click on the link of your choice and it gives you the code to paste here. I think the one I use from there is called insert in a post or something similar.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:47 PM   #8

Good advice from Rafael and not much I could add. One thing though is all the shots appear a little overexposed which I find is a tendency of the FZ-30 & 50. It is easy to correct in PP. Here is one shot cropped with a little adjustment to brightness, contrast, and sharpening. Also, I don't think any of us ever stop learning and that is part of the fun.
Attached Images

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote