Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:27 PM   #1

Hey all, this is my first time posting on the forums. I just purchased an FZ50 the otherday and it is enroute. (I have been happily shooting with an FZ15 for the last two years.) I had a few questions regarding the camera.

-First, I am considering either the SunPak 383 or Olyfl36 external flash, and I was wondering if it is worth the extra expense to even get an external flash. Just how much of an improvement are these over the integrated flash? I have not been very happy with the flash quality on the FZ15, but if a low-end external like the 383 will only offer a slight improvement, I would rather not waste my money.

-I am also looking for a good case for the FZ50. I would like to be able to carry the camera, lens hood, a couple filters, battery+charger, memory cards and card reader in as compact a case as possible. I don't really need room for any conversion lenses at this point. Can anyone reccomend a good case that has worked for them? Possibly one of the Tamrac Adventure models?

-I know I could probably search to forum for this question, but are their any SD cards that I should avoid for the FZ50? I am looking for at least 133X 2gb, any reccomendations?

zonaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:13 PM   #2

I know of no card 2gb or smaller that has any trouble with the FZ50.

The 383 is a much better flash than the built-in flash.......but I would think that a dedicated flash would be worth the cost.

I can not help with the case.....I can not find cases large enough, I am sure you will have no difficulty finding a small case.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:09 PM   #3

I am using the SanDisk 2GB Extreme III SD card with my DMC-FZ50 and love it. It is very fast - especially when recording those 20MB RAW files.
photogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:06 AM   #4

Yes on the external flash. I have the Oly FL50 and love it. For cases look at the M-rock systems, again I have it and love it. http://www.m-rock.com/I use the High Sierra bag and have built off of it with two Niagara bags for accessories. It keeps everything compact and can be split up if you wish to travel smaller. Each one comes with a built in rain fly also which can be nice if your caught outdoors in a rain shower.
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:36 PM   #5

Thanks for your input. I have decided to go with either the fl-36 or fl-50. I was wondering if anyone has experience using burst mode with either these flashes? I don't imagine it would be very effective but maybe I'm wrong? Is the fl-36 even capable of burst mode?
zonaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:57 PM   #6

I don't know if the FL36 will keep up with the burst mode but I am sure that the FL50 does. :|
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote