Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:29 PM   #11

Nice shots H-P. I am amazed that you can capture them like you do. They must be plentiful and flying slow for you. Maybe they are just photogenic birds.:G

P.S. The RDS is indeed a laser type sight. For more info on the one I have and Roger and others use look at the following website:

http://kwikaim.com/

They are very easy to do business with and the sight is relatively inexpensive.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:23 PM   #12

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots H-P. I am amazed that you can capture them like you do. They must be plentiful and flying slow for you. Maybe they are just photogenic birds.:G
They are plentiful indeed. Slow is relative. For the double shots they were moving, I was tracking one and got lucky. They were not hovering, but compared to one of those Golden-eyes or a cardinal in the backyard the gulls are very pokey. Usually. Let a hawk fly over the harbor and things speed up big time. They are indeed photogenic though. At least to me. There are hundreds of geese at the harbor and they fly right over me and are very easy to anticipate and track. I have a bunch of goose shots but they don't usually inspire me as much.

Thanks for the sight link. Something else I might need that I did not even know existed. I can see it's use though. That viewfinder delay while it shows the shot just taken in multiple shot modes does make it hard.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:11 AM   #13

I'm just amazed at how good you are at capturing birds in flight. The first one in particular is simply marvellous.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:58 AM   #14

Great bird shots!
cal 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:20 PM   #15

peasant , how the dickens do you get such crystal clear shots ( pic #1 ) of something flying in a sky in no fixed direction.......what settings do you use dude.
stunning.
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:01 AM   #16

deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
peasant , how the dickens do you get such crystal clear shots ( pic #1 ) of something flying in a sky in no fixed direction.......what settings do you use dude.
stunning.
pete
Usually (unless I am experimenting) I use high speed 1 point auto-focus, Normal for sharpness contrast and noise reduction, and high for saturation. The last two days I added continuous auto-focus to the mix. Either burst mode or exposure bracketing. I almost like the auto-bracketing better because I forget to keep the button down in burst mode often. I play around with aperture, but always keep in mind the smaller the aperture (larger number) the better the chance of having a deep enough DOF to get the bird in it. Except then the shutter speed needs to be slower, so it may be a toss up. Then I just try and make sure that little mark is centered on a bird's body when I depress the button, and try and track steady if they are moving fast.

And throw away the blurry bad ones. Don't let anyone see them. (Like the two below for instance. I can see that dawn shooting will be a challenge.)

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote