Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:13 AM   #1

So yesterday I started high up in the La Trobe reading room of the State Library. Not too many RMIT students today.

You can work your way down the various balconies of the reading room which is 94 years old and only the second oldest reading room at the State library

Till you get all the way down and decide that the wide angle attachments is the way to go this birthday to get a good shot down the benches.

Our downward looking journey continues down Melbournes laneways where you can spot all kinds of cool little galleries

till finally we keep looking down all the way to the river where a little pied cormorant has a got itself some hair product

and you wonder if a TC will work better the EZ function on the FZ30.

Another day without a resolution!
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:55 AM   #2

hey Rafael . is Wednesday going to be looking sideways ?
robass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:47 AM   #3

A nice series of shots. I especially like number 2, which gives me a feel for the place. I wnder how if feels to be in the room when all the reading places are full.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:06 PM   #4

Well, I like them all so this time I am going to say what my least favorite one is and that would be #3. Great colors on these shots. Did you use a TC or no TC on #5? My opinion, Just for the record again, is if you are shooting long distances the TC trumps every time.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:50 PM   #5

rob, No Wednesday photos unfortunately. A working lunch got in the way. LOL

Happy, it is always quiet even when there are plenty of people there, very spooky.

Ted, No TC on #5. Instead I used the EZ option to get closer than the 420 allows. I think it ended up being about 530mm equivalent.

All - thanks for taking the time to look and comment.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:42 PM   #6

Raf, that is an unusual looking library, but wonderful. Great series, and I was wondering what to expect today, also. Maybe Thursday and Friday.

P.S. Meant to ask, What are we cooking next? I enjoyed the paella recipe, just wish I could have located the saffron.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:01 PM   #7

Jerry,

Thanks for your comments. Well it is not a local library, it is Melbourne's major research library. Apparently they have 90K (about 55 miles?) of shelving and this is one of 5 reading rooms. The library was started in the 1850s, the older reading room dates back to the 1890s and this one was completed in 1913 and has a huge glass ceiling.The librarycovers a whole city block and consists of 22 separate buildings. They used to share the complex with the Melbourne Museum but that has now moved allowing the library some growing room.

Well unfortunately I had a working lunch Wednesday and this morning I actually did some shooting pre-dawn, which I am hoping will result in a shot for the panachallenge, which means I have nothing to show you for a bit.

What next recipe ? Well I am cooking a tortilla (spanish potato omelette not the mexican tortilla)and some empanadas (kinda tuna and tomato pastries)for my daughter's birthday this weekend. Might post a shot or two and see if you like. Generally I do the spanish cooking and the barbeque stuff at home and she-who-must-be-obeyed takes all other cuisines and implements. Somtimes we meet in the middle and share a wine.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:24 PM   #8

Spanish potato omelette? Sounds great. My grandfather on my Mother's side was of Spanich descent. I think his ancestors were some of the exiles from the Canary Islands (prison). Waiting to see the photo.

P. S. Please tell your daughter Happy Birthday for me. Mine is Friday. I think it will be my 34th anniversary of my 30th birthday.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:34 PM   #9

nice shots and I just love the fluffy bird!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:55 PM   #10

Thank you Annie. The cormorant is cute , it had just come up from a dive in the river, hence the rugged, wet he-bird look.