Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:17 AM   #1

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2

That is nice that you can get a bit of the darker under the bridge area as well as the river beyond it. Are overcast days unusual there? This time of year they are the normal type where I live. There is a bit of definition to the clouds in the background. I don't usuall see that. Just plain drab gray.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:51 PM   #3

Once again you found an interesting shot to take. As Happy said, you even got a little definition to the clouds. One of my least favorite and hardest things to shoot, a bright overcast sky.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:29 PM   #4

Happy,

Melbourne is a fair way south so at this time of year things are beginning to cool down, at least by our standards. Generally we still have plenty of sunny days interspersed with cloudy ones. Later in winter it can go weeks with dark grey drizzly skies. But generally even in winter we get some bright sunny days and mostly have temperatures getting up above 12C (54F) so nothing as cold as you are currently experiencing. Still you know it is going to end in a glorious spring soon.

Happy & Ted,

One of the reasons I shoot in RAW is because I like this sort of high contrast shot and I find that with a RAW converter I can tweak the settings a bit to get that detail just the way I want it. So generally I will use an exposure that does not blow out the details in the sky too much. This generally makes the shadows (under the bridge) a bit dark. I then use PS CS3 ACR to tweak the "exposure", "recovery" and "fill light" settings to get the effect I want it before taking it into PS CS3 for normal processing.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:07 PM   #5

Melbourne sure does appear to be an interesting and archtectural wonderland.

Very nice.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:18 PM   #6

Well Jerry, I am still happy here after 43 years so I am not going to disagree that it is an interesting place. I must say though that having the camera has helped me rediscover it. Thanks for your comments.