Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:15 PM   #11

jotajota wrote:
Quote:
Yes you are right, it's not a Greenfinch, but rather a Female Lesser Goldfinch because of the white patch on it's wing.
Many thanks for the info, I'm obviously going to have to find myself a more detailed bird book.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:21 PM   #12

mcliu wrote:
Quote:
don't Know, never seen on this part of the world & the best part I can't even differentiate between the owl & eagle? So sorry,But I like the pictures,is it alright to you...???
Don't worry, up until a couple of months ago when I started snapping the local birdies, I had no clue either. We may not have anything exotic around here (unless someone's pet parrot escapes!), but there are so many varieties of finches and tits, it takes a while to be able to identify them easily.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:53 AM   #13

Good morning

First post on here, the bird in the pic is a female Chaffinch, the white shoulder patch being the key identification feature.
Here`s a pic of a male......you cant really see on this pic but the male has a gorgeous blue crown, and the same white shoulder.

Mark H

Attached Images

Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:47 AM   #14

As I've never observed any male goldfinches in that particular area, but have often seen male chaffinches, I think the bird is most likely a female chaffinch. Therefore the virtual chocolate chip cookies are awarded to Mark!

Many thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.