Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:45 PM   #1

Hello im new to the forum and to the digital photography world
We just recently purchased our 1st digital camara the panasonic
DMC-fz20 We've used it a few times for indoor basketball shots
with low lighting..1st atemp not to well alot of blur and orange hue
messed with the settings and fixed one problem but not the other..

(no blur with the orange hue or clear with alot of blur)so we took it to a local camara shop(theo nly 1 in town and they arent familiar with the camara) but they was able to adjust it so the color was good but one shot alot of blur and another none or so blurry you cant see it..

My question is is anyone familiar with this camara and what would be the best setting for this for indoor baskeball..
Thanks in advance
thunderstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:03 PM   #2

Indoor action shots with the FZ cameras is difficult to impossible due to lack of light and the inability to get fast enough shutter speeds. You might try setting it on manual opening the aperture as wide as you can, set the white balance depending on your lighting source, set the ISO to 200 or 400 and then run the shutter speed as high as you can without making the pictures to dark. You will then have to use some post processing to get rid or the noise and maybe sharpen the pictures but you might get some shots that are good enough for small prints.

I am sure others here will have some more tips for you.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:04 PM   #3

Oops double post!!
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4

What tcook posted is right on........You need a SS of 1/250 second for indoor sports and that can be impossible in some gyms......especially High schools, some colleges and the pros have much more lighting but F2.8 is iffy at best.

Many of the guys with DSLRs and 2.8 lenses still need to shoot at ISO1600 ,so you can see what your up against.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:11 PM   #5

Hi Thunderstorm, if you are going to use your camera for a lot of these kind of photos you might think about getting a different camera just for that purpose. I also have the FZ20 and it is a great camera. I would not sell mine to get another camera but I am looking at buying an Olympus C-5050 mostly for diving. This camera has a F1.8 lens as opposed to the FZ20's F2.8 lens. Here is a link to a review of the C-5050.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/c5050.html

The C-5050 can be bought on ebay from. http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-Auctions
These are Factory Reconditioned and have all the latest updates from Olympus and come with a 90 day Manufacturers Warranty. You can also buy a two year extended warranty from them for $50, recommended. The price for the camera seems to be around $200.

Al
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:52 AM   #6

That will most likely do nothing but add to your confusion, the burst mode will be slower and I think as soon as you start zooming the OLY becomes a F2.8 lens also.

This is not to say the 5050 is not a good camera, but IMHO it just does not seem to be what you need.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote