Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:33 AM   #1

I've had some luck learning how to use the camera, but very little still when going outdoors... Any suggestions? These images were directly shrunk down, so the exif info should still be there.

Though one wasn't that bad...

The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:17 AM   #2

T.O.O. check that your metering mode is set correctly . It looks to me that your camera is set to spot metering . sometimes it can be difficult (when the camera is new) to distinguish between auto focus metering and light metering .
robass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:12 AM   #3

robass wrote:
Quote:
sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish between auto focus metering and light metering .
I don't totally understand what you mean there... But yes, it was on Spot metering. I switched it to the other(not combine) Someone suggested trying spot, but eh, you see the results.

Haha, come to think of it, some of the later pictures I took that day were a good bit better, but I was also in a more wooded area, so much less direct light.

Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:30 AM   #4

does your fz 20 have the function button on the back like my fz50 ?. im sure it does select that then go to (I think second from the left just to the left of auto it should look something like this " ( "
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:37 AM   #5

in the P mode , when you press "function " at the top of the screen you get

1 P

2 focusing mode

3 metering mode

4 white balance mode

5 ISO

6 3MP,5MP,8MP,10MP

7 FILE MODE , RAW ,JPEG etc.

try playing around with the metering mode , I had a very similar problem and it took me forever to discover until I discovered that the camera was on spot metering mode as apposed to multi mode
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:37 AM   #6

in the P mode , when you press "function " at the top of the screen you get

1 P

2 focusing mode

3 metering mode

4 white balance mode

5 ISO

6 3MP,5MP,8MP,10MP

7 FILE MODE , RAW ,JPEG etc.

try playing around with the metering mode , I had a very similar problem and it took me forever to discover until I discovered that the camera was on spot metering mode as apposed to multi mode
Old Mar 9, 2007, 5:02 AM   #7

You might also experiment with shooting in 'auto bracket' mode, which gives you three differently exposed shots to choose from — you can use the best one and discard the other two.

One of the benefits of not having to buy film...
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:31 AM   #8

I am a fan of spot metering but most of my photos are wildlife photos.....

For the type of photo you are shooting spot metering is causing you trouble.

This really pertains to all metering modes but it is most important with spot metering.

This will be difficult for me to explain but if I use your 2 photos with houses as the subject for examples. On the first one the camera metered on the shady area on the porch and did a pretty good job with that, if it had been a color other than gray it would have done even better with that part, but as you can see that leaves everything else over exposed.

On the second and better photo of a house, the camera metered on the white house and did a much better job....a few blown highlights and some dark shadows but overall a pretty nice photo. It would be difficult with a FZ20 to do much better.

If you are going to take these types of photosmultiple metering may be your best choice with center weighted a close 2nd.

But one thing to remember when you 1/2 press the shutter what you see thru the EVF is what you get......if it looks over exposed ,it will be over exposed, if you move the metering point towards a lighter area you will notice the photo getting darker at the next 1/2 press.

Try this yourself and see if what I said makes sense......lets use the first house photo as an example.....go back there under similar lighting conditions and point the camera at the very top of the roof line and 1/2 press the shutter.....in the EVF the sky will be a pretty shade of blue but the porch will be almost black,correct?

Now point at the porch and 1/2 press, the look in the EVF will be just as the photo you posted ,correct?

Now this is a guess but point the camera at the left side of the house where the sun is shining and 1/2 press, my guess is that will yield a correct exposure the porch may be a little to dark but the photo will overall be pretty nice. There will be a blue sky, green grass and a red roof. there will be shadows on the porch but thats because the dynamic range of that photo excceded the capability of a digital camera. And is the reason for a photo editor.

You can do that for every photo you take and in every metering mode but it will make the least amount of difference if your in multiple metering. but even then it will make a difference as most cameras give a priority to the focus point, as they assume thats the point of interest.

As you can see when you help the camera meter it will yield a very nice result as in your photo of the multiple houses.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:22 PM   #9

Thanks guys! I'm beginning to figure this camera out Unfortunetly I can't "retake" any of those picture I took yesterday as I went out with some friends. It's about a 2 hour drive back to that area... However, I did take a few pictures today of my house and surroundings. They did turn out pretty well...

As a side note, I wasn't complaining about that picture with two houses, just showing what I managed to get :lol:

Old Mar 9, 2007, 5:23 PM   #10

Good for you.....its not a difficult camera , you just need to discover the settings and style that works best for you.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote