Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:36 PM   #1

Hi - I am new to this forum, and a relative newbie to the digital photo compact camera genre. I bought this camera for several reasons - one of which was its wide angle ability. But I have been very disappointed with the flash pictures - seems way too many come out like this picture - very grainy. I have the camera set to take 3 MP pictures - which should be enough to get a clear picture. And the distance wasn't too great to be outside of the flash range. So why do the pictures turn out like this? Is there a way to get rid of this? If I can't find a remedy, then I will have to get rid of the camera and again look for another one.

Many thanks,

Jim
Attached Images

woodrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:44 PM   #2

Jim,

most pocket point-n-shoot cameras have very weak flashes. typically, the flash is only good for about 10 feet, though the range listed in the manual may be greater. from the look of this photo, you were a bitbeyond the effective, if not the maximum, range of the flash.

also,i see from the EXIF data for this image that your ISO was setat 400.pocket digicams by necessity have small sensors, and if you try to cram too many megapixels (i.e. anything more than about 3MP) onto those little sensors, they get very noisy, especially atany ISO settingabove 100.that noise ("grain") will also be much more apparent in marginally underexposed images like this one.

set your ISO to 100 and leave it there, get a little closer with the flash, and see if that helps your pictures.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:48 PM   #3

Thank you very much. I will set the ISO to 100 instead of Auto. Hope it works.

Jim
woodrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:00 PM   #4

Hi Jim,

Is this any better? I ran it through Photoshop Elements Quick Fix, and then Neat Image, which is a noise reducer. The photoshop corrects. In this case it thought the picture was a bit dark so it lightened it up. As squirl033 said, maybe it a bit beyond effective range. What you call grainy the digital world calls noise, and Neat Image smooths it out. But at the expense of sharpness, although not overly noticable sometimes.

Do you know what EXIF data is? For your picture EXIF shows it was taken at ISO 400, which is a recipe for noise a lot of the time. So your plan to keep ISO at 100 is a good one.

3 MP may well be enough, but I would experiment with the same subject at differing MPs to determine what is best. And do that in a number of settings. Higher MPs do allow for more cropping though if you ever decide to go that route, as well as allow for larger prints.
Steve

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote