Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:22 AM   #1

took this pic because I liked the way the light reflects off of the leaves .
Attached Images

robass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:35 PM   #2

A very nice shot. I love to see the morning light on the bayou (stream) behind my home. I can see what you saw here. Have to some like that.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:12 PM   #3

Very nice and I wish I was there. Looks so pleasant.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:55 PM   #4

Rob,

Whilst I see what you are saying about the light shining on the leaves, I wonder what the shot would have looked like with a little negative exposure compensation. I suspect that the blown highlights on some of the leaves and on parts of the bird bath would have been lessened and you would have richer, deeper greens on the leaves. Just a thought!
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:12 AM   #5

I agree with you totally Raf , have a look at this one , I cant seem to get rid of the totally blown highlights .
Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:54 AM   #6

Is this done in PP using the shadows/highlight tool? That helps but it is even better if you can use the exposure compensation to crank down the exposure a little and then bring it up in PP. A highlight blown will always be blown. Next best is to shoot in RAW where you can do a little bit fo EV work before going to jpeg.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:03 AM   #7

how do you use the exposure compensator , is it done on the camera ,pre or post photograph ?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:22 AM   #8

Rob,

On my FZ30 to do exposure compensation I use the up arrow on my wheel control on the back of the camera. This brings up the exposure compensation slider. I can then dial in either a negative or a positive amount. In a really bright situation like the shot you have here I might left click twice to get -2/3 EV (ie negative 2/3 of a stop). Alternately you could go to spot metering meter on one of the bright areas and pres AE lock, recompose and take the picture. Essentially then you are underexposing because the average exposure calculated by the camera gives too many blown highhlights. Sometimes if you want to bring the shadows up you may dial an a +ev to overexpose, just depends what you want. I use a -1/3 or -2/3 on most photos and I sometimes go to -2.

If you shoot in RAW you can do it using any of the RAW converters, though it is not as good as doing it in camera.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:57 AM   #9

thanks Raf , I didn't even know that my camera had that function .
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:33 AM   #10

Nice picture Rob. Its nice to see plants and flowers at this time of the year, in few weeks, mother nature will come to life up here.

Emmanuel

Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote