Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:39 PM   #11

Well, you know I am a big fan! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:30 PM   #12

Beth, a very wonderful series. All are great and imaginative. Love your ability to find such interesting photos. I am amazed at what you can find to take a photo of, makes me feel like I go around with my eyes closed. Great job.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:36 AM   #13

Aww shucks! )

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Well, you know I am a big fan! Donna
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:37 AM   #14

Thank you... )

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Beth, a very wonderful series. All are great and imaginative. Love your ability to find such interesting photos. I am amazed at what you can find to take a photo of, makes me feel like I go around with my eyes closed. Great job.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:50 PM   #15

Beth Ellen, having been very on this forum (due to a problem with accessing it via my DSL connection, problam now self-solved) I have a better chance to appreciate your progresses.

Great composition, outstanding colors (FZ5 is unbeatable in that) and good detail both in the closer macros and in the less extreme close ups.
You can surely do better in 2 fields (notwithstanding the impossibility to use external flash, on board FZ5 flash seems to work justfine):
better deatail on eyes and insects faces or topic points (wanna see the cells in the eyes of that fly portrait and the sharp hairon the jumpingspiders' forehead).
I don't think it's a light problem, maybe you have to set fixed focus and than move the camera to and fro from the subject.

Also PP is sometimes not at the same level as the shots execution (too compressed green Crab spider, NR in some pics...).

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:00 PM   #16

Thank you Narmer. You mention "the impossibility to use an external flash". I do have an external flash but it is a slave. I divert the onboard flash to trigger it. I have used it only a few times and then winter hit. Are you saying I will not be able to work with this?

I do very much want to get more details in the macros. I don't think I understand "fixed focus". I will look into the camera a bit more and the manual unless you can explain a bit to me?

Thanks!

Beth Ellen
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:30 PM   #17

Maybe Sven (Seemolf) would be a petter person for councils, cause he uses a fz5 (also with slave flashes).

I think FZ5 has no manual focus lock button, but it should have manual focus option (maybe I m wrong).
When you use Raynox (but even Nikon T achromats) lenses it'd be better to lock focus and move the camera until when you see in the LCD that the focus is achieved.
Then you shot.

However if it's not possible with FZ5, go with the normal Autofocus... it's a matter of being used to it.

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:40 PM   #18

I want lock focus... sniff... :sad:
Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:20 AM   #19

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Maybe Sven (Seemolf) would be a petter person for councils, cause he uses a fz5 (also with slave flashes).

I think FZ5 has no manual focus lock button, but it should have manual focus option (maybe I m wrong).
When you use Raynox (but even Nikon T achromats) lenses it'd be better to lock focus and move the camera until when you see in the LCD that the focus is achieved.
Then you shot.

However if it's not possible with FZ5, go with the normal Autofocus... it's a matter of being used to it.

Hmmm, I should read some "old" threads every now and then.

Like Francesco said, I prefer to use the focus lock button with my macros, some kind of "manual" focus started with the FZ7 - but I don't need it so much. The focussing range with macros is very small, a macro rail on a tripod is better for my purposes. A monopod is a faster method...

My flash is covered by an advanced slave sensor for a simple reason:

I have to kill the preflash! My new main flash fires a single flash and triggers many consecutive flashes with cheap slave circuits (DIY, less than3 $$ each). They all trigger on the first flash signal.

You could use an IR filter (old unexposed, developedslide film) on the onboard flash and use better flashes with an improved slave function (triggering on the second flash).

So I don't miss the hotshoe. This "lack" is no reason to carry a bigger camera around. The hotshoe fixes the flash too close to camera, we need a bracket anyway. My "external flash connector" = slave trigger tolerates exposure times up to 1/2000 sec. Natural light can be elimnated!

Beth, you will know this page:

http://freenet-homepage.de/seemolf/light.html

My new methods are not included yet......

Sven

... by the way, I prefer natural light.A tripod is a part of my standard equpiment now.

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:55 AM   #20

Thanks for the feedback Seemolf. I have visited your pages often but I don't quite understand how you do some of the things you do. I would not know how to find the right flash sensor much less rig it up to work with my PHX D92-BZS. What I have done is simply redirect the onboard light and it triggers my slave flash. I need to work with it more. )