Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:18 PM   #1

The bird I most want to get a good shot of is the Black-headed Gull, mainly because I may never see one again. Since you were asking about the bird shots I thought I would post just a few here.

First one, no zoom at all. Bird too close, I have to learn to force myself to take the shot before it is ready to allow for shutter lag and keep the bird a bit away from me.

Another good example of why I should snap the picture a bit sooner.

On the other hand, this I snapped too soon. (These middle two I fished out of recycle bin for this post.)

This last one worked out better. Not perfect, but getting closer.

You can click on the first and last one to go to the larger image. Not the middle two though as they are private on flickr. Although, I may end up liking the one with the derrick just because of the interest factor. The daughter and I were recently at a Shanty sing at that yacht club after the Maritime Festival. If you do go there are a couple more flight ones from today.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:39 PM   #2

thank you peasant
some awesome shots, i see you missed a few but thats understandable considering they are in flight and hard to predict which way they are gonna fly, esp since you are looking thru the tiny lcd screen trying to frame a bird flying in an infinitely open sky, but what impresses me most is the clarity of the image.
i like the last wingspreaded shot.
thank you for your personal response.
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:48 PM   #3

I agree with you Happy, the one with the derrick might be the best because of the background.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:57 PM   #4

deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
esp since you are looking thru the tiny lcd screen trying to frame a bird flying in an infinitely open sky, b
I may well never have mentioned; I have never used the LCD screen for shooting birds, only the little electronic viewfinder. Maybe some can, but even with O.I. S. there is no way I am steady enough to hold the camera away from me to use LCD. The screwed up nerve in my arm doesn't help either, but that is another story. My 20 year old son on the other hand, has never used a viewfinder for anything and does alright.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:58 PM   #5

Happy, A couple I would be fairly pleased with if I had shot them. As a matter of technique, do you use burst mode?
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:14 PM   #6

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Happy, A couple I would be fairly pleased with if I had shot them. As a matter of technique, do you use burst mode?
I use burst mode often, and also auto-bracket. Today was too bright for auto-bracket so it was burst mode. The problem I have with burst mode is that I have a point and shoot mentality so I point and click, and usually do not remember that it will keep taking pictures if I just remember to hold the button down. For this particular bird I don't think it would make a difference as he is incredibly fast. I have thrown away some shots that were burst mode, and his beak is coming in on the right in the first shot, and his tail is leaviing on the left in the next one. (Note, I have only used low speed burst due to the book saying it does not recompute exposure and/or focus after first shot in other modes.)
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:47 AM   #7

Check out the posts about Red Dot Sights, often referred to as RDS's. They are invaluable for BIF (Bird in Flight) shots.

Basically it is a gun sight mounted to the FZ.

You can search here for info on them or over on the dpreview forums.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:58 AM   #8

NewsyL wrote:
Quote:
Check out the posts about Red Dot Sights, often referred to as RDS's. They are invaluable for BIF (Bird in Flight) shots.

Basically it is a gun sight mounted to the FZ.

You can search here for info on them or over on the dpreview forums.

I did look at these thanks to a link from bayourebel. They go on the flash shoe though and I only have an FZ7 so no shoe to attach it to.