Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:05 AM   #1

Despite Japan having one of the warmest winters on record this year, most ski resorts in northern Japan have been doing good business. I'm an avid snowboarder, and while the FZ30 is not exactly a camera you can fit in your pocket as you burn down the slopes, I decided to take it with me on a couple of trips. I'm glad I did, the pictures I got more than made up for the bulk in my coat pocket, and the massive bruise on my ribs I got when I fell on it.:? The FZ30 is one rugged camera! It performed great in the cold weather, even in brief periods when the temp was -20 degrees C.

This pic was taken at a ski resort known for it's "snow monsters." The top of the mountain is so windy and gets so much snow that the trees become encased in snow and ice. On a clear day it's awesome boarding through rows of giant ice lolies...unfortunately the weather was not cooperating when I was there...and it was cold-d-d-dd...

A parting in the clouds let the sun shine through on three friends...

Different day, different place...

Perfect day for snowboarding/skiing...

Heading up on the lift, not a cloud in the sky...

A few panoramas, some magnificent views at the top...

Some action shots...

...and lastly some fun with Photoshop:blah:

Sorry for the long post, hope you like at least some of them!
fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:27 AM   #2

Very nice photos thanks for sharing.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:56 AM   #3

You managed to freeze the action in the snowboarding shots extremely well. I think theyre all nice shots....the scenic views are breathtaking.

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:08 AM   #4

Thanks for taking us in your snowboarding trip. Beautiful pics and scenery.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:37 PM   #5

SOme terrific action shots there. Thanks for taking me to the snow. DOn't get to see much in person.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:39 PM   #6

Thanks for looking everyone.:-)I was suprised at how well some of the action shots turned out, I was only using ISO 80 and it was nearing the end of the day (around 4 p.m.). I guess all the sun reflecting off the snow provided enough light, though I still had to fiddle with the levels in photoshop.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:10 PM   #7

These are all very nice. I like the snow covered trees as well as everything else. It's funny how other people's snow always looks so scenic.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:11 AM   #8

I loved some of your shots especially the Photoshoped multi-image. I still think you should have hit them with W/B and level adjustments. IMHO, it would ad more pop. I copied two of your images and would like to show my approach?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:58 AM   #9

I did adjust the levels on the action shots, but I'd like to see your modifications. Post away!:-)I'll post some of the original shots later to show you how dark some of them were.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:11 AM   #10

fina23 wrote:
Quote:
I did adjust the levels on the action shots, but I'd like to see your modifications. Post away!:-)I'll post some of the original shots later to show you how dark some of them were.
I guess it depends on the software I use Photo Impact. Also did a little cropping and resizing.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote