Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:09 AM   #1

Howdy, I hope to get some feedback on taking wide angle photos with this lens. I don't know if it is just me but I find my wide angle photos a bit blurry and am never entirely pleased with them. I tend to be a bit flaky about rebembering my camera settings (metering and such) and realize I need to pay more attention to that. Any advice about the best metering for this would be appreciated. I know some show detail but something is nagging at me. Is it just me? :roll:

These are all unedited except for size.

[align=center]<1>

<2>

[/align][align=center]<3>
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center] <4>

[/align]
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:24 AM   #2

Well I can see why you would not be happy with the 1st and 4th photo and because I can not see the exif I can only guess ......but you can not zoom with a WA lens on the camera......I thought the FZ5 would permit that to about 3 X but some cameras permit no zoom at all.

Perhaps someone else has a better idea.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:36 AM   #3

Thank you, well the first one there was no zoom. I was back a ways from it and the 4th I believe might have been very minimal zoom. Even with the other two, while there is more detail I can't help but see a bit of blur. :roll:

Do you think it is mainly due to the compatibility between the camera and lens? If the lens is fine I might just get rid of it but don't want to try to sell if it is not a good lens.

Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:29 AM   #4

I find the 6600 and fz5quite compatible. The middle 2 shots look fine to me. The first and last are a little flat. The brightness of the open sky and snow might beexacerbating a not uncommon characteristic. Try setting the pic adj to vivid when using the 6600 or applying some pp levels adj.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:37 AM   #5

Vivid...ok, will give that a try! Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:56 AM   #6

I do see a bit of improvement with the vivid setting. So, that is good.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:48 AM   #7

Hi Beth,
I had similar concerns up until recently when using the tcon-17 with my fz20.....different camera and lens to yours, but similar concerns regarding lack of sharpness and detail.
After discovering that optimum sharpness is obtained at F5.6 (the "sweetspot" on my particular camera) I now try to shoot at this aperture whenever possible, to compensate for the image degradation caused whenever any additional lenses are used on front of the actual camera lens.The difference in image sharpness since doing this is pretty considerable.
Obviously in the case of wide-angle scenic type shots this aperture may not give the required depth of field though.....but its worth shooting a few test shots in A mode at this aperture to see if sharpness improves.
Also, in the case of the Tcon-17, it needs good light to capture an acceptable level of detail......i`m not sure how that relates to your wide-angle lens though, and from the looks of the shots youve posted the light looks ample.
A little negative exposure compensation seems to help too, usually -1/3 EV or thereabouts.
Although I havent used a wide-angle add on lens up til now, i`ve found with scenic shots at wide angle using just the cameras own lens, the point upon which you focus in the shot can make or break the image. I tend to use spot focussing and try to be very careful of which point on the planned shot i actually focus.Using the focus lock I then frame the shot as required and take the pic.
If you have a tripod (or failing that, support the camera on something solid like a fencepost)i`d take a few test shots at the above aperture setting, in good light, which will give you a good idea of the image quality the lens can achieve....hopefully it will restore your confidence in the quality of images attainable with your camera/lens combo....

hope the above is of some use to you,

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:14 AM   #8

Thanks Mark, It is helpful. Interesting about the "sweet spot" with your tcon-17. I have that lens too and have struggled with it. I do wonder if the few clears shots I get are with a similar aperture? ) I should explore that more too. Thanks for the tips, I will consider them all.

Beth
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:58 PM   #9

Another guess......but what focus mode are you folks using, if its that 3 or 9 pt thing change it to spot or 1 area.....just not those multiple area things.

There is really no reason for the shot to be very soft......perhaps you lose a bit but not enough to make a big difference.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:03 PM   #10

Hi Beth,

I am using F:5.6 and spot focus most of the time with addon lenses .
Standard settings - I never use "vivid". I had a canon A70 before, that one was too vivid!
Sharpness and colours are ok for my purposes.

FZ5, dcr6600 with modified short adapter "Spring!!!"

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...g/P1630018.jpg

FZ5, tcon17_b-300 full zoom t 1/1000 sec. "Waiting fot the jump"

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...g/P1620930.jpg

cheers

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote