Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:11 PM   #1

Well I can't do BIFs so I figured I'd pick on things that move at my pace and bring you some of the interesting architecture in my world.

This first one is a bank . Would not let me shoot inside for security reasons. Its a shame because the inside is if anything even more ornate.

And the building next door makes you think of arabian nights

Aren't these just a bit more interesting than your normal office buildings

And if you come to Melbourne you can stay at the Rialto, no not the new Rialto (the office tower behind), only use that to view Melbourne from 50 floors up, I mean the old Rialto & Elderfleet buildings which used to be wool stores and are now a hotle.

Any advice on taking architectural shots would be greatly appreciated. I'll get out of your way now!
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:45 PM   #2

I really like the last one, lots of detail given the low light. Melbourne is a great city, I've only been there twice but I really enjoyed myself while there.
fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:25 AM   #3

fina23, thanks for the kind comments, I appreciate you taking the time.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 6:42 PM   #4

Nice shots,...I really like #4,6, and 7 and the contrast the new with the old...I did not realize that Melbourne had such old buildings!!! not sure why...
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:20 PM   #5

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots,...I really like #4,6, and 7 and the contrast the new with the old...I did not realize that Melbourne had such old buildings!!! not sure why...
Thanks for commenting. Not sure if the "not sure why" is why does Melbourne have such old buildings or why did you believe it did not, so I will answer the former.

Melbourne's non-indigeneous history is very recent. Melbourne was only founded in 1835. Due the discovery of gold nearbythe regionwent from 75k people in 1852 to 500k in 1857. All that money puring in meant melbourne was one of the richest places on the plant for a while and people spent big on developing the city. The building I have shot in this set are all from the 1890s (the Marvellous Melbourne phase of our history). It was Australias first capital on federation until Canberra was developed as a compromise between Melbourne and Sydney. The rapid growth in an era of wealth and the political importance of Melbourne meant we ended up getting people building some special buildings. We probably have the best existing collection of Victorian buildings anywhere in the world and the retention of important buildings has always been at the forefront of city news. We don't alwsy get the balance right, tend to swing between keeping too much and not keeping enough, but over time we have managed to keep quite a bit of stuff intact. It makes for an interesting place with a mix of 19th, 20th and 21st century. Sometimes one echos another.

Here is a shot (not great, sorry) of a 20th century office tower which echos the shapes of the older buildings it overshadows.

Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the photos AND the history lesson. Enjoyed both.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:02 PM   #7

You have some very photogenic buildings over there, great shots!

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:00 PM   #8

The older buildings in Chicago seem to suffer from one of two ailments; either the terra cotta falls off, or the building suffers from acid rain and smog and gets all scruffy looking. It is nice to see all your pretty ones. (Not that some of ours are not pretty in case some gung-ho Chicagoan is reading this.)
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:15 PM   #9

even though i have some friends in melbourne they have never sent me any pix of the city.
you have captured some beautiful historic buildings with some excellent camerawork
ttahnks for sharing
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:20 AM   #10

Nice series, Raphael.
Good exposure, sharp focus, nice composition .... i.e. good, technically.
But, more importantly, interesting photos of a place I have sadly never been.
I particularly like #8. It's got atmosphere & drama. Must have been tough to get the exposures right - exterior through the window AND the interior.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote