Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:11 AM   #1

I want to get a couple spare batteries for my FZ50, and $45 seems ridiculous for a Pan. Battery. I am thinking of the spare sold at batterybarn.com and was wondering if anyone has used these and if the work just as well? Anybody have bad experiences with generic batteries for panasonics?
zonaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:43 AM   #2

I've purchased two extra batteries at Amazon which were about $13 - $15 each. I've used them and they work just as well as the Panasonic. Since my camera and accessories are new, I don't know if there is any difference in the "life of the batteries" (number of charges the generic batteries will take versus the Panasonic).

I wonder if any of the FZ30 members have used generic batteries? If so, what is your experience with the generic batteries?

Sharon

Deuxchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:49 AM   #3

Being in Australia I can't answer for Battery Barn's product, but I do have two generic spares for my FZ20 that are now over 2 years old and still working OK — including shipping, the pair cost me less than half what one OEM battery would have over the counter.

I've seen generics offered since for less than half that, even.

I would think that it's a bit of a lottery, though — quality control would be one of the things that went out the window...
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:38 AM   #4

I bought a replacement battery from www.sterlingtek.com, shortly after purchasing my FZ-50. It has 1400mAh rating. It sells for $19.99. Only had the camera for a little over a month, but so far I've had no problems.
pastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 6:29 AM   #5

To purchase the Panasonic brand name batteries in Canada, you even pay more money. I bought generic batteries for my FZ30 about a year ago now from a dealer off of ebay in the US and they are still going strong.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:57 AM   #6

I've bought a generic, "batterybarn" type battery and a Maxell battery for my FZ10. Both worked great...for a while. The generic, no-name battery stopped taking a charge within a year, the Maxell keeps on workin'.

My strategy these days reflects my experience; I go for the cheaper batteries but only those made by recognizable battery brands. The savings aren't as big but neither are the risks, IMO.

john

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:33 PM   #7

Thanks for your input...Jmgiv, do you have a link to a site that sells the maxell batteries?
zonaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 9:06 PM   #8

These should be at least as good as Maxell — come with 12 month warranty:

http://www.duracelldirect.com/panaso...cessories.aspx
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:35 PM   #9

whats the part number .......i have some spares..pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:28 PM   #10

I don't know that Maxell makes a replacement for the FZ50 battery and I don't know what the FZ50 battery's part number is but a little time on Google should provide the answer. Once you have that just search for the Maxell. For example, the FZ10 and 20 Maxell equivalent is "Maxell DC3784" and a search on that term turns up bunches of hits.

Ibought my battery at buy.com because they offered $30 off the first purchase using a new, no-feeBuy.com Visa card. So I signed up for the Visa and bought two batteries, one for me, one for my Lady, for the equivalent of about $15 a piece.

john

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote