Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:29 AM   #1

I've been attempting to learn how to use my FZ50.I am slowly learning a few of the features and only recently did I check the EXIF info. I was shocked to see that all l my photos are shown in EXIF as X and Y resolution as "72.0 dpi".This would seem to mean that the "Picture Quality" was set to "standard" which equals high compression. I have set the camera to "Fine" (low compression) but still the photos are at 72.What is interesting is that the files are the size specified in the manual's chart, but always come out at standard resolution.

I'm so lost.....my previous digital camera would allow me to easily choose "fine" easily and I was able to print all photos I took as the resolution was high enough for large prints. The FZ50manual speaks primarily about size (in pixels) but in terms of resolution, it mentions only "Fine" and "Standard" compression (quality)info. I have tried all three aspect ratios (4:3, 3:2, and16:9) and have set selected the "fine" (low compression) setting for each - (4:3 = 10m; 3:2 = 8.5M, and 16:9 = 7M). Still, when I open the photos in either Photoshop or Corel PSP, all the photos are at the lowest JPG compression = 72.0. I know that when I set the camera to RAW, it creates a JPG file at the same time and it is set to standard (high compression JPG). But according to the manual the quality can be set toeitherFine or Standard(72 pixels per inch). I have triple checked the setting and it is on "Fine" but still gives photos at the lowest quality.

I've looked throughout the manual and have re-read the Picture Quality portion at least 8 times but still cannot get the camera to produce "fine" photos. Does anyone have any ideas what I am missing/doing wrong?

Thanks,

Sharon

Deuxchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:39 AM   #2

Deuxchat,Do not worry,I too had the same problem(ie.72dpi).Asked the expert they say,while printing it is the lpp(Lines per pixel) matter ie. "printer problem".Good printer - good print.Having more number pixels help in editing work." If you are not convinced read DP forum and waste the time" Thsi is piece of advice I got from the Boss.Choice is yours, I am Taking pictures only and happy with that
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:21 AM   #3

I have read articles stating that number is meaningless. They also tell you how you can change it in PhotoShop to 300 for those who like higher numbers for print purposes. My camera has a low number also, but the pictures turn out great when I take good pictures, not so great when I take bad ones.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:21 AM   #4

I know this article is about scanning but it explains dpi pretty well..

Do not worry there is nothing wrong with your camera..... And be sure to also read the second page of this article.

http://www.scantips.com/basics1a.html
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:52 PM   #5

In the "print" world, DPI means a lot. I have had to reject many photos because they were JPGs compressed to 72 with most details being lost and quality was poor. So I panicked because I thought that the camera was applying high compression to each photo. I do know that when I'm preparing photos either for the web or print, that it is important to save JPGs with a setting for lowest compression for the highest quality and detail retention; and a high compression would yield a 72dpi image with a great deal of detail loss.

Now, I see what you and the other responders are saying.........the size of the photo is the important thing; i.e., the number of pixels (photo size). I've compared the photos I've taken at the different ratios and they are matching the size given for the highest pixels ("fine" quality). So, now I'll relax and just take photos. I do wish that the manual would've explained this a bit more, however.

It looks like changing the resolution in Photoshop would be a waste of time as it is actually unneccessary.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - you have helped a great deal!

Sharon

Old Mar 16, 2007, 5:08 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone who responded. What a relief - now I can stop panicking!

I've attached a photo of a cousin I took recently - had to make it smaller in Photoshop first......

I sure appreciate your help!

Sharon
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:44 PM   #7

Here is another try to upload the image file....

Taken February 2007 about 8 a.m., overcast sky.

Sharon
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:38 PM   #8

Deuxchat wrote:
Quote:
I

It looks like changing the resolution in Photoshop would be a waste of time as it is actually unneccessary.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - you have helped a great deal!

Sharon
I don't know if I would say it is unnecessary. If you are sending a photo to an editor or someone who panics like you did, then the article I read said change it to 300 to make them happy. I don't know how myself though, and have not had a photo rejected by anyone. (have not sent all that many though.)

Anyway, we are all glad to help. This is a friendly place.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote