Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:37 PM   #1

Two versions here. One edited and one the original. This picture uncropped, shot at 1/2000 second and ISO 80. I made at least 15 versions of it, altering levels and brightness a bit each time, and occasionally adding a little red since I think Elements discriminates against red when lightening shot. Finally I just picked one and posted it. And thought I would show you both versions. If you track the picture back to its source there are seven more shots of birds in flight. All gulls. No pigeon. I took a shot of one flying and when I looked at the picture it was nothing but blue sky. I will have to work on pigeons.

The last shot is two gulls that said "Enough already with the pictures!" And their friend the rock. (Or maybe there are just so many people that love to feed these guys that they are too stuffed to move.)

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:26 PM   #2

nice shot peasant....dont wanna call ay the 'birdman' coz he was from alcatraz.........but you sure capture thos BIF's ( finally know what the acronym stands for ) superbly
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:27 PM   #3

nice shot peasant....dont wanna call ay the 'birdman' coz he was from alcatraz.........but you sure capture thos BIF's ( finally know what the acronym stands for ) superbly
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:59 PM   #4

Interesting seeing the before and after PP shots. Another solid BIF shot.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:44 AM   #5

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Interesting seeing the before and after PP shots. Another solid BIF shot.
The "before" shots are not usually near so dark. I had planned on taking a shot directly into the sun, only with a gull between me and it, so I could have the light shining through the wings. And took this guy's picture with the sun behind me because he banked so nice. No time to change settings.

Thanks Pete and Ted for looking and commenting.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:38 PM   #6

You did a good job in recovering the image so well with it being underexposed......love the look of contempt on the sitting gulls`s faces

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:55 PM   #7

The last couple of weeks ive been trying to get a bird shot with my FZ50. That is a wonderful shot and gives me hope. What kind of camera were you using?
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:39 PM   #8

I am still amazed at how you capture such wonderful BIF's and without an RDS.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:21 AM   #9

Serafin wrote:
Quote:
The last couple of weeks ive been trying to get a bird shot with my FZ50. That is a wonderful shot and gives me hope. What kind of camera were you using?
My bird shots were taken with an FZ7. It seems to do the trick as long as I work within it's limitations. To get a bird that fills the frame as well as this one on a regular basis one would really need a DSLR with their faster shutter response time, this was just way lucky. I do get lots of good birds though by backing off a bit and then cropping a little if I need to make the bird jump out.

Thanks for looking and commenting bayourebel and Mark. I liked those hunkered down gulls myself. Part of the hunkering, as well as their disdain, had to do with the wind. It was coming in very cold.