Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 17, 2007, 3:43 PM   #1

I read on the Fuji forum if you lower the megapixels on the 9600 I believe it was you can get better ISO results. Tried with the FZ50 and it didnt seem to make any difference. Has anyone else tried this?

I cant see a difference the quality of the images on my 20 inch screen between 5mp and 10mp. Both shots were taken at 12x zoom but they appear to look like they have different zoom settings. Why is this?

If you set it at 5EZ is the image producing a 5mp shot after you reach 12x zoom? Or is it a 5mp shot throughout the zoom?

And is it a optical picture im taking at less than 10mp or digital? Because im very impressed at the quality of the shots at 17.1x zoom.

Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:16 PM   #2

Quote:
read on the Fuji forum if you lower the megapixels on the 9600 I believe it was you can get better ISO results. Tried with the FZ50 and it didnt seem to make any difference. Has anyone else tried this?
Haven't tried. Can't see why it would make a difference but I am not a real techo.

Quote:
I cant see a difference the quality of the images on my 20 inch screen between 5mp and 10mp. Both shots were taken at 12x zoom but they appear to look like they have different zoom settings. Why is this?
Hard to tell at this size. They DO have different zoom settings. Essentially the 5MP shot is a crop of your 10MP shot. All that happens is that the camera uses a smaller portion of the sensor, which is almost the equivalent of taking the full shot and then cropping in PP. The only difference, I believe, is that the camera metres for the additional zoom, so you may have a slightly better shot than the crop because the metering may be a little more accurate.

Quote:
If you set it at 5EZ is the image producing a 5mp shot after you reach 12x zoom? Or is it a 5mp shot throughout the zoom?
It keeps it at 10MP till you get to 12x zoom and then increases the zoom by cropping the amount of sensor it uses.

Quote:
And is it a optical picture im taking at less than 10mp or digital? Because im very impressed at the quality of the shots at 17.1x zoom.
It is an optical zoom. I remember seeing some diagrams on-line that explained this all really well, but I have not been able to find them again. You might like to try.

Hope this helps.

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the answers. If thats the case and your using all 10mp until you pass the 12x part of the zoom I think I will keep it at 3mp in case I need something really far quickly.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:07 AM   #4

For anyone that did not see this on the other forum.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22501622
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:00 AM   #5

Serafin wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the answers. If thats the case and your using all 10mp until you pass the 12x part of the zoom I think I will keep it at 3mp in case I need something really far quickly.
Could one look at the picture dimensions in EXIF at the various settings to determine if the MP stays at maximum until EZ is used? The examples I see make it look like it is not, but since I don't have a double digit camera I can't tell. My FZ7 goes to 3MP throughout the zoom range if I set it there to use the extended zoom.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 1:17 PM   #6

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
Could one look at the picture dimensions in EXIF at the various settings to determine if the MP stays at maximum until EZ is used? The examples I see make it look like it is not, but since I don't have a double digit camera I can't tell. My FZ7 goes to 3MP throughout the zoom range if I set it there to use the extended zoom.
Yes you can and I can not understand how these guys are interpreting it the way they are......they are not understanding it correctly....Once you leave full WA (35 to 44 mm) you are only using the center of the sensor.
Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:10 PM   #7

Serafin, It would seem I led you astray somewhat, my aologies. A case of wishful thinking (it's the way I'd like it to work).
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:32 PM   #8

Going back to the original question about increased resolution at lower settings and extended zoom; I don't know if this is related, but in the flickr FZ7 group I am in it has been mentioned that lower settings result in increased resolution (sharper pictures) when using a teleconverter. At least when using the C-180.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote