Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:30 PM   #1

I've read comments (here) regarding the TCON17's being used with some of the FZ models. Does anyone out there have this combo, specifically the FZ7? If so, do you mount the lens directly on the camera, with a step ring, or with a UV filter between the camera and the lens?

If this question has been asked and answered, and I've missed it, I apologize.

Thanks, DaveA
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:47 PM   #2

You may do well to read this as the situation is very similar.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...dapter+for+FZ5
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:25 AM   #3

genece wrote:
Quote:
You may do well to read this as the situation is very similar.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...dapter+for+FZ5
It was interesting reading that link with all the highlights blanking out the words undeerneath. I think I figured it out though. They make it sound like the TCON is bit large for an FZ single digit camera.

Dave. as an alternative there is the C-180.

I ordered my C-180 teleconverter a month ago. It came damaged and Olympus said send it back. The replacement just came today. Before I sent it back it was gloomy here, and it rained today. Not good teleconverter weather. This is a smaller teleconverter then the TCON and fits the camera much better in my opinion. There is darkening of edges of picture in low light. If I ever see the sun again I will know if that happens in good light. Below are two photos I took when the lens first came so you can see amount of magnification. If you want to check out one of these go to the Olympus eBay store. Mine cost $9.95 plus shipping and tax. (edited to add: the C-180 has 52mm threads and fits that plastic tube that comes with the camera.)

Unedited. From the back porch at full zoom.

Unedited. Full zoom plus C-180 teleconverter.

You can also go to a flickr set with this link. the first two pictures were taken with the C-180. The gull on the dock has no darkening, the one with the gloomy sky behind him does.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happy_p...7600019915152/
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:31 AM   #4

If you pay attention to this part by Fre Moore it pretty well explains what you should do to make a more secure fit with the older FZ5 and I would think the FZ7 is the same.

And while the C180 /210 works better on the FZ7 than the FZ20/30 or 50 .....the tcon 17 is a better choice.

Perhaps some one can supply the link to the pemeraal adapter ...that is the best solution for attaching a lens or filter to the FZ7.
Quote:
The removal of the 1mm or so of non-threaded plastic at the front of the f5 adapter(by rubbingacrosssandpaper on a flat horizontal surface)that interferes with a tight connection is certainly needed but that alone will notresult ina secure enough fit with the tcon17. After sanding you should attach a 55mm metal uv filter (or metal dummy filter with the glass broken out) since those male threads are deeper than the meager tcon17 threads. Now you will have a securely seated source of metal 55mm female threads (the front of the uv filter is also threaded) to connect the tcon17 to. IMO, it is still a somewhat questionable arrangement due to the tcon17's weight and center of gravity. Try to always give it some support with your left hand andyou should beok.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5

DaveA wrote:
Quote:
If so, do you mount the lens directly on the camera, with a step ring, or with a UV filter between the camera and the lens?
The tcon17 works very nicely with any fz camera including the fz7. You will need to use the lens adapter tube that came with the fz7to allow the lens to extend (ie, you can't attach the tcon17 or any add-ondirectly to the camera). The lens adapter tube has 52mm receiving threads. The tcon17 has 55mm, so you will need a 52-55mm step up ring.

The tcon17 is fairly heavy and will put quite a bit of stress on the plastic stock adapter threads, however. You're best bet is to get a 55mm metal fz7 tube adapter from pemaraalfor $22 to replace the stock adapter. Also get a 55mm uv filter and keep it and the tube adapter on at all times for lens and extension housing protection. The uv filter will not affect image quality or color.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:24 PM   #6

Thanks folks. Sounds like "pemaraal" may be the best solution. I've used the TCON17 on my UZI for a few years attached through a 49mm UV filter and 49-55mm step ring. Of course the UZI is solid as a brick but the FZ seems a little less so.

DaveA
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote