Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:56 PM   #11

Nice work vaiboy. I like 2 and3.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:10 AM   #12

Good shooting, I like them all but I really like the smile on the face of the Tortoise.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:48 PM   #13

I enjoyed them all. I also am partial to the tortoise. But then, I am a tortoise person. Come warm weather I will take a few shots and put post them. They just don't look as good indoors.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:53 PM   #14

Thanks for the comments everyone!

There's a white alligator at the zoo but I didn't make it into the reptile section because of the rain. I'm going to try to get back over there this weekend to see everything that I missed.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:10 PM   #15

Those are great shots and I love the tortoise and the flamingo (i think that is what it is!!!)
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:36 PM   #16

wow you snapped some brilliantly clear shots.............liked them all..........pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:44 PM   #17

great shots...

I've been looking to upgrade from older Olympus to the FZ7 (watching those discounts since it has been discontinued) or I will just get the FZ8

What I have noticed on many postings (on gallery sites like pbase) just look awful with the FZ7....However whenthe reviewers (steves-digicams, dpreview, etc)themselves take the shots, they look great. Many people don't seem to know how to get the best out of the FZ7. That's a shame. I figure they turn up the sharpness and NR and then shoot at too high an iso.

Yours are one of the rare exceptions. So I have to ask. What settings (NR, contrast, saturation, ISO)did you use for the photos? How much post-processing did you do?

thanks

gregg
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:57 PM   #18

Thanks pete and annie I really appreciate the comments.

Gregg - Allthe picture adjust optionsare set at STD. For post processing I used Photoshop Elements (Auto Levels, Auto Contrast, and adjusted Highlights and Shadows or tweaked Levels when needed).

I like using spot focus mode better than the other modes. It takes a little longer,and sometimes I will miss a shot because of it, but it just seems to produce the best resuts for me. I normally shoot at ISO 80 with the EV at -1. I prefer to under expose, plus it givesa quicker shutter speed soI dont have to rely on the image stabilizer.

The wayI see it is unless the camera is an absolute hunk of garbage likea camera phone you should be able to get acceptable results out of it. You just need to practice and take lots of pictures to find out what works best forany particular camera.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:28 PM   #19

vaiboy wrote:
Quote:
The wayI see it is unless the camera is an absolute hunk of garbage likea camera phone you should be able to get acceptable results out of it. You just need to practice and take lots of pictures to find out what works best forany particular camera.
A nice bit of camera owner philosphy you wrote down there. There probably would be a lot less camera sales and a lot more satisifed picture takers if everybody used this as their guideline.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote