Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:35 AM   #11

tcook wrote:
Quote:
Just a little "cloning around" with your shot Happy, hope you don't mind. I would have been happy just to get the chance to shoot the haws no mater how much CA there was.
If only the sky were like that in the woods. I don't mind people playing with the bird. Only thing is, with blue sky and no branches that light fuzzy streak behind/below the bird no longer fits in. It was a beam of sunlight through clouds that crept into the last frames. Aside from that you did a fine job of brightening up my bird. I know it isn't real though. The sky is never that clear here.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:50 AM   #12

The second shot youve posted is excellent Happy.Lovely sharp detail on the bird.

Re the colour fringing/CA....I have the same problems with my tcon-17 sometimes when shooting in less than ideal light or when backgrounds consist of lots of twigs/branches with high contrast (or both).
Initially I was shooting at f2.8 for the highest shutter speeds I could obtain, but lately have been shooting around f5.6 and upping the ISO slightly to improve speeds, which has helped a lot.
If you can get shots as good as #2 in poor-ish light I look forward to seeing your future shots in better conditions.Nice work!!

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:30 AM   #13

Sure is a beautiful bird that you captured!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:44 AM   #14

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, isn't she though. (I think it is a she based on size and color.) I so lucked out on this one.

As an aside, I took these with my new Oly C-180 tele converter. Folks say it is not as good as a TCON 17. Not having one of those I can't compare, but I think this little converter does pretty good.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:53 AM   #15

It looks very similar to our UK Sparrowhawk (might well be.....unsure whether you have them in the States) in which case the pictured bird would be a male.....the female is a more subdued grey/brown colour.
If as you say theyre building a nest nearby you`ll get more chances of some shots of these beautiful birds, especially after the chicks hatch and the parents are continually hunting to feed them.

Mark
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:15 PM   #16

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
It looks very similar to our UK Sparrowhawk (might well be.....unsure whether you have them in the States) in which case the pictured bird would be a male.....the female is a more subdued grey/brown colour.
If as you say theyre building a nest nearby you`ll get more chances of some shots of these beautiful birds, especially after the chicks hatch and the parents are continually hunting to feed them.

Mark
I am guessing female based on size (larger then the one that flush sparrows from my evergreen bushes) and color. My bird books have the female of this species more colorful then the males. Yours is a different species according to Google. I will hopefully get a chance to see either the other one of the pair or both of them together before the trees leaf out and make it hard.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:46 PM   #17

Hi Happy, yeah our female Sparrowhawk is larger than the male too......isn`t it amazing how 2 very similar species have oppositely coloured males and females,wonder why that is?...

Good luck with the pics of these beautiful birds in the near future,hope you get some more good shots...

Mark
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:17 PM   #18

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
annie57 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, isn't she though. (I think it is a she based on size and color.) I so lucked out on this one.

As an aside, I took these with my new Oly C-180 tele converter. Folks say it is not as good as a TCON 17. Not having one of those I can't compare, but I think this little converter does pretty good.
Happy, I have both the C-180 and the TCON-17 and the C-180 compares quite favorable in sharpness but may be a little more prone to CA when shooting into bright light. If not for the light the TCON-17 delivers to the lens there would (less vignetting) there would be IMHO little reason not to just have the C-180 or the C-210. In really good light I have even stacked the C_180 and C-210 or TCON-17 with decent results considering the distances I was shooting.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote