Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:41 PM   #1

I tested my C-180 teleconverter today. It was brighter then the cloudy rainy usual, but still some clouds, and this was almost right into the sun. A bit of color in this shot. Green branches. Purple mouth. I used Elements Smart Fix and cropped a bit and thought I would share before doing anything else.

I am not a hawk naturalist but am thinking all those white feathers hanging out will be used for the nest she is building right near where I took this shot.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:54 PM   #2

Happy, this is too nice of a picture to be ruined by that horrible purple fringing.......so my suggestion is to do the best color correction you can on the whole picture > then cut out the hawk and the branch it's standing on > blur the original picture > superimpose the hawk and branch > do a little dodge & burn and a little cloning > save the corrected pic as a jpeg > bring the picture back up and crop so that the outer heavily purpled benches are out of the picture and you're left with a decent picture.....yes its possible....it took me about 10 minutes...here is my quick and dirty result...let me know what you think.

Hiroshi
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:55 PM   #3

The chromatic aberration IS pretty strong on this one. Not sure if anything will get rid of it all. Shame, because the actual bird detail is pretty good. Does elements smart fix have a chromatic aberration tool ? Don't think there is too much you can do in this situation beyond under exposing a lot and hoping you can get the detail back in PP.

And then I saw Hiroshi's effort! Good job
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:00 PM   #4

Here is another shot of the same bird, but colors removed.

Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:07 PM   #5

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:

This one looks great, what did you use to remove the purple fringing???? To my eyes all you need on this one is a little more contrast.
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:07 PM   #6

Looks good Hiroshi. The second one I posted I tried color correction in photo enhancing, but there were too many colors. So I used color replacement and picked assorted grays and browns. And for real close to the bird I cloned in little bits of stick from good color areas. I am working up to the ones with the beak since that is a different color.

I was testing tele converter at different f/stops, ISO's, and MP settings, and have about 400 shots of this bird to play with, so I should be able to come up with a couple of good ones.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:15 PM   #7

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:

This one looks great, what did you use to remove the purple fringing???? To my eyes all you need on this one is a little more contrast.
How is this? I am not that great on guessing colors sometimes.
(edited to add: it was not that great a photo day at the time I took these. even the cardinals and woodpecker heads looked drab.)
(Edited a second time to say it took me about 5 looks to realize the picture you posted after above quote had been changed from the original. I guess I am not too good at contrast as well as color. Or else I have tired eyes from all those hawk pictures I took.)

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:57 PM   #8

Wow, great shots despite the fringing. I am enjoying this thread as far as improving the image. Great job.

Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:21 PM   #9

Beth Ellen wrote:
Quote:
Wow, great shots despite the fringing. I am enjoying this thread as far as improving the image. Great job.

Well, if you or anyone wants to practice I can send you an unedited picture to play with. As CA pictures go these are not too bad, but only because the density of the little branches is not all that great.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:59 AM   #10

Just a little "cloning around" with your shot Happy, hope you don't mind. I would have been happy just to get the chance to shoot the haws no mater how much CA there was.
Attached Images

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote