Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:44 AM   #11

Mark , those are fantastic .
robass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:29 AM   #12

Thanks for the kind comments and feedback, much appreciated.
Focussing was extremely difficult just by the power of the kitchen light, so I ended up attaching a small maglite torch to the lens barrel to light the subject area,which helped a great deal....initially I had a lot of shots where the body was focussed ok but the head/eyes were slightly out.
First shot was taken with a Phoenix ringflash, second with the cameras onboard flash heavily diffused.The ringflash pic captured more natural colours, and seemed better for a light background such as in these pics.It seemed the onboard flash captured slightly more detail, but at the price of slightly shifted colours which needed correcting (thanks tcook).It`s something i`ll have to work on more i think.
Found another shot that came out ok(another taken with the ringflash).....attached below.....thanks again everyone...

Mark
Attached Images

Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:53 AM   #13

Mark , do you use the 150 or 250 raynox lens . are your pics cropped at all ?
robass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:59 AM   #14

Hi Rob, i`ve got the 150 raynox lens, yep the pics are cropped (the fly was pretty tiny)....I`m planning on getting a 250 lens soon for small stuff like this to fill the frame better. I have tried a few shots going into the digital zoom range with mixed results, a few half decent ones.....plenty of bad ones LOL

Mark
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:26 AM   #15

Amazing how a normal house fly can be become an interesting subject!!! Nice one!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:48 AM   #16

Thanks Annie.

Mark
Old Mar 28, 2007, 7:52 AM   #17

These look quite good. It is amazing that a fly would sit still long enough for you to experiment with the various lights and settings. I prefer the color over the black and white. Flies seem to be pretty close to black and white naturally.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 8:12 AM   #18

Thanks Happy, once you get close to them they often sit quite still while you snap a few shots......its the approach to get the camera in position that usually causes them to fly off (excuse the pun) if not done carefully.
I`ve just taken some more shots today which I think are my best so far, I`ll post them later once I`ve processed them all and chosen the best ones.....

Mark