Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:49 PM   #1

I thought, it being a little brighter then gloomy for a change, I would get a few nice backyard bird shots. Nothing to it I says, migration season and all and them birds eating me out of house and home in vast flocks. But they had other plans.

First, the Grackle I says, a beautiful bird, all shiny and alert. But did he cooperate, no. Just stayed on other side of feeder.

Surely the Hairy Woodpecker will eat his food and turn his back to me to show off his red head and pretty stripes say I. But he just looked at me like "Put that thing away dude."

The Redwing! Oh yes, a friendly and hungry bird. Surely he will be beautiful for me, flashing his colored patches. And indeed he did, until the grackle flew over and said, "Fly Away! A camera!"

Some days I just can't win.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:22 PM   #2

Heh heh...those birds are making you work hard... :G I am trying to photograph birds too (amongst whatsoever else shows up). I will have a post soon called "Wildlife In My Backyard". :-)
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:47 PM   #3

Beth Ellen wrote:
Quote:
Heh heh...those birds are making you work hard... :G I am trying to photograph birds too (amongst whatsoever else shows up). I will have a post soon called "Wildlife In My Backyard". :-)
I look forward to it. We have birds, a frog and a fish in the pond, and the turtles. Only real non-bird wildlife we have is rats, mice, possums, and the occasional racoon. All them critters pass through mostly at night and don't lend themselves to photos. Well, the possums do, but I always feel bad if I set off a flash in their face.

Edited to add Click here to see the frog.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:47 AM   #4

Happy - Don't feel bad...I've had plenty of those days where I just couldn't win. Thank God for digital cameras....I could take hundreds of photos and keep the few that look good and nobody has to see the ones that didn't.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:32 AM   #5

Love the captions to go with these....

I can fully relate to the frustrations of these shots Happy, having binned thousands of pics myself of birds in our garden.
As Hiroshi points out though, thats one of the huge advantages of digital...plus theres no financial loss if a shot fails to reach expectations. I shudder to think how much my binned shots would have cost if taken on slide :?

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:34 AM   #6

Despite the un-cooperative birds, with your captions and the shots you captured, this is quite an enjoyable post!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:20 PM   #7

looks like he was playing hide'n'seek with ya peasant......somehow that 1st shot does it for me... coz birds are so mobile its hard to get them still for long.....pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:28 PM   #8

Thanks all for looking and commenting.

And pete, glad you like that first shot. Grackles have such neat eyes that it almost excuses shots that have some of the rest of them hidden. Almost but not quite because they are so pretty when they shine.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:07 AM   #9

Nice one Happy, love the eye in that first shot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote