Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:07 PM   #1

These are far from my best shots, but I have never seen flies doing this before, so I thought I would share. I walked outside this morning and found a bunch of flies sleeping on a weed. It must have been a little too cold for them last night, as it warmed up they started to fly away. I'll get an earlier start tomorrow with a tripod and more diopters.

All shots with +5 diopter Raynox DCR5320 and a Sunpak 383 flash w/ a diffused Omnibounce. Focusing was hit or miss because of a light breeze and low light.

vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:57 PM   #2

Interesting series. Looks like they are ready for take-off in 4.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:36 PM   #3

Nice set of shots there. Insect "roosts" aren`t very easy to find so you did well to come across this one, and you captured the scene very well too. Nice work.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:17 PM   #4

Nice natural history captures. How does it feel to know you have a fly motel on the premises?
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments!

happy_peasant - It will feel alot better if they are there in the morning. Normally the only time I see a bunch of flies sitting still on something, it's not a very pleasant something they are sitting on. I'm not about to stick my camera that close to something that unpleasant just to get a picture of flies. So I'm glad I wasable to get these shots, but I'm hoping for another chance tomorrow morning. The flies were sitting absolutely still and as long as I didn't touch the weed they didn't care how close I got. So tomorrow I'm going at them with +13 diopters, a tripod, and a reflector to bouncce the flash.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:35 PM   #6

Vaiboy, some very nice captures of flies, wish all the ones in my barn stalls would travel over to your motel. It is a constant battle to keep them under control, as you would suspect. Right now, we are having the deer and horse flies to contend with.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 1:32 AM   #7

I am just wondering how did you get such a sharp and clear picture of a fly ?? As if Fly is patiently waiting for you to get the shots. Admireable
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 12:06 PM   #8

mcliu - It was an unusually cool morning around here so the flies were just sitting there patiently. I was just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

This morning I tried again. It was a little warmer so I didn't see as many in one place, but I got a few shots. My next camera is going to have a hot shoe.I don't know what the problem was this morning,but the optical slave didn't work for most of my shots. I did get it to trigger a few times but it was really frustrating. Oh well here's a few pictures that did turn out.

All shots taken with the Raynox DCR5320 and Raynox DCR-250 stacked,

Old Apr 1, 2007, 12:24 PM   #9

Even without the flash working as you wanted they`ve still come out well vaiboy.Nice and sharp, and the darker pics 1 and 2 look quite effective with that lighting.
I manage a lot of the time with the onboard flash on my FZ20, as the focussing distance of the DCR-150 lens I use is far enough away to avoid shadows(about7-8inches or so).It has to be quite heavily diffused though, and may not work as well with the closer focussing 250 lens.
I also made a tubular reflector that slips over the onboard flash, lined with foil which carries the generated light along the tube and down onto the subject via a large reflector....that works quite well too.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 1:13 PM   #10

Very nice series vaiboy, I think the first one is avery nice shot. Its quite unusual to find so many flies waiting around to have their picture taken:-)

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote