Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:32 PM   #1

This one taken at 420mm equivalent, f5.6, 1/320. 100 ISO.
Shutter speed too slow at that distance. Bird is blurred. Focus seems O.K. judging from the bird's perch.
Seems to me one might try to get within flash range and use a faster shutter (at least the reciprocal of the focal distance ... the basic rule). Why do some of us always have to learn the hard way?
Any other comments or advice from you experts out there?
Attached Images

WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:36 PM   #2

Next one tried at 1/400 & 200 ISO.
Seems better to me ... except for the composition. Bird needs a good beating for getting behind the fence post when I categorically told him to stay out front !!!
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:40 PM   #3

Last one at f6.3, 1/400, 420mm zoom, within flash range, spot metering (to try to expose the black feathers properly).
May be getting a little better ... will keep working at it (following Happy's good example of perseverence).
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:10 PM   #4

I have taken lots of cardinal shots, and it is my opinion that, at least while in trees, they quiver constantly. I have some shots where a feather hair sticking out is sharp but the the bird itself is blurry. And the red doesn't help matters.

They do occasionally hold still. Take this one for instance. He felt secure instead of overly exposed I guess.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:12 PM   #5

With the image stabilising on the Fz`s the shutter speeds you`ve used on these shots should be ok to get sharp images. I have very mixed results when taking bird shots so i`m certainly no expert, but one thing that really does help is shooting a series of shots using burst mode.....this increases your chances of getting at least one sharp shot.....sometimes just 1 out of 10 shots will be sharp enough, the rest blurred.

Mark

Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:26 PM   #6

You've taken on a tough challenge here. I find bird shots so tough. A possible suggestion is to open up the aperture as wide as you can which will give you maximum shutter speed. Of course that means you have less depth of field, but as long as you get the focus right it might just freeze the movement.

Of course given my lack of bird success feel free to just laugh at the thought of me giving advice.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 12:15 AM   #7

hey wind....nice shots.....what bird is it by the way.....i shot one at iso 80 ~ f3.7 ~ 1/125 , and heres what i got.....if you stay still enough and stay there for a little while...the birds sometimes get used to you being there and dont get very nervous....they do see a lot of us humans so as long as we dont act threatening sometimes they are ok.....pete
Attached Images

deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 12:40 AM   #8

Thanks for the input & advice Happy, Mark, Rafael & Deter !
Interesting comment, Happy, about the vibratory behaviour of cardinals.
Will keep trying & experimenting.
Robin.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:31 AM   #9

Bird photos are a major challange.

1/ Tend to be small

2/ Tend to stay far from possible threat of humans

3/ Twitch about often

4/ Their feathers all too often absorb light rather than reflect it which make light ratio between the bird and its environment a hard job for a camera

5/ They also know when you are out of film/memory/batteries since that is the only time you can get closer to them (They picked this up from the butterflies)

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:24 AM   #10

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
Bird photos are a major challange.

1/ Tend to be small

2/ Tend to stay far from possible threat of humans

3/ Twitch about often

4/ Their feathers all too often absorb light rather than reflect it which make light ratio between the bird and its environment a hard job for a camera

5/ They also know when you are out of film/memory/batteries since that is the only time you can get closer to them (They picked this up from the butterflies)

:|
This is good. You forgot one though. When shooting in burst mode, they always take off as soon as the burst ends.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote