Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:23 PM   #11

Thanks for the help.

I did settle on the Manfrotto and so far so good very pleased with it. Just got to get used to the look of "why is that man carrying round a tripod" .... although I must say it fits in my very small bag so covert shooting is great.

I'll post a picuture for anyone thinking of getting a new tripod.

Cheers Again !!!!

Pants
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:29 PM   #12

here u go excuse the mess !!!!
Attached Images

PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 8:40 PM   #13

rschofield wrote:
Quote:
I wish that it was a little taller when fully extended -- I'm 6ft tall. But I'm working on a solution to this that I'll pass along to those interested once I've confirmed that it works and that the tripod remains stable in this configuration.
As I promised back in early April, I am now able to confirm an easy way to extend the maximum height of the Manfrotto 785B tripod.

Simply call your regional Manfrotto distributor's parts department (in the US it's Bogen Imaging, Ramsey, NJ, 201.818.9500 ext. 244, ask for Maurizio) and order Manfrotto part number R785,204B ($7US). When it arrives (it may take a while as this is a whole new product line), unscrew the cap (labeled "F" in your Manfrotto instruction sheet) from the bottom of the center column shaft and screw in the new center column extension (it comes with its own cap preinstalled). Done.

Please note that by adding this piece to your existing 785B, the fully collapsed length of the tripod increases from 17" to 21½" and you will have to remove it (and probably even the existing center column shaft) to access the minimum height of 7").

I have not used this extended setup in a real life situation (wind, uneven ground, etc.) but it appears to be completely stable.

Here are some photos:

Collapsed Manfrotto 785B tripod (17") above measuring stick with Manfrotto part no. R785,204B (center column shaft) below

Collapsed Manfrotto 785B tripod with Manfrotto part no. R785,204B (center column shaft) attached (now 21½")

FZ20 mounted on Manfrotto 785B tripod. Left: unmodified at full extension (59"). Right: modified at new full extension (66")

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote